ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keylight 1.2... help!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helena HaimesKeylight 1.2... help!
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 5:27:29 pm

Hi there,

I've just installed CS4 on my PC, and am now trying to finish off a nearly-completed project I was working on on a mac.

The project - which contained a lot of green-screen work - imports fine, but I don't get an image up (only a white screen), and this message comes up when the project is opening...

'This project contains 2 references to missing effects. Please install the following effects to restore these references (Keylight (1.2))'

As a total newbie to AE I'm probably missing something ridiculously obvious, but everything I've read seems to say that this effect should be present already in CS4. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no success.

Any help really greatly appreciated...I'm desperate to finish this piece soon, and can't get any real-life help till I go back to college in October!

Thanks loads in advance

Helena

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeRe: Keylight 1.2... help!
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 6:25:42 pm

Q[Helena Haimes] "I've just installed CS4 on my PC, and am now trying to finish off a nearly-completed project I was working on on a mac.

The project - which contained a lot of green-screen work - imports fine, but I don't get an image up (only a white screen), and this message comes up when the project is opening...

'This project contains 2 references to missing effects. Please install the following effects to restore these references (Keylight (1.2))' "

The white screen reference sounds like you're misssing a codec in Quicktime. If this project was shot in something like DVCProHD on a Panasonic HVX 200, you have buy a reader for $150, and even then, it won't write back to DVCProHD. Bummer for you.

Once you get the codec issues sorted out, here's more cheery news: you may have to bite the bullet and do the keying over again, too. I think The Foundry -- the guys who make Keylight -- added some parameters to the latest version, which would be in AE9, but not necessarily in your version at school. So the two versions of Keylight may not be compatible with one another. I'd ask on The Foundry's web site.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.......

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Frank RuggieroRe: Keylight 1.2... help!
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 6:50:26 pm

Helena,

Are we missing the obvious? Did you install keylight? If I remember correctly, dont you have to do a separate installation for keylight outside of After Effects? Just a shot in the dark...

-Frank

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Kevin CampRe: Keylight 1.2... help!
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:46:00 pm

[Frank Ruggiero] "If I remember correctly, dont you have to do a separate installation for keylight"

it used to be that way... in older versions of ae the third-party bundled effects (like keylight) were in an extras folder on the ae install disc. but in more recent versions they will install from the main installer, unless you chose not to install third-party content.

if you happened to choose that option, then you should be able run the installer again, choosing to only install the third-party content.

however, if what dave mentions is true (you installed a newer version of ae than what was previously used in the project) then you will probably need to re-key the footage since the foundry changed the plugin a bit (dave's suggestion to check their website for a work around is good too).

also, what dave mentioned about white footage is also true, you usually only see that when you don't have the codec that the footage was encoded with... so that's the first hurdle you need to overcome, and that will mean, either find a pc version of the same codec of find a way to transcode them to another codec -- for that, the easiest way would be to go back to the mac and convert them to a standard quicktime codec, like animation (huge files, great quality) or photo-jpeg (good compromise between file size and quality).

don't k now the codec? if it is a .mov open the file in quicktime and open the movie inspector, it should tell you the codec/format even if it can't read the encoded image data.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Helena HaimesRe: Keylight 1.2... help!
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 11:56:04 am

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your extremely helpful responses.

I fear I did shoot the bugger in DVCProHD, so do have codec issues which I'm going to try to resolve without forking out too much cash...

I did install all third party content when I installed the latest version of AE, so the problem doesn't lie there I don't reckon.

I've also written an email to the Foundry to see how recently they changed this plugin, and if I'll need to key the whole lot again. If that's the case then I think it will be easier to hold off until I have access to the mac I started the piece on (and a very capable college technician!) again in October.

Blimey, nothing's ever easy is it?! All part of a learning curve though I spose...

Thanks loads again,

Helena

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]