ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stuttery Motion after 23.98 conform (HELP!)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aron KantorStuttery Motion after 23.98 conform (HELP!)
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 12:39:44 am

Hi all,

I'm working on a title sequence using motion graphics in conjunction with some footage I shot. The footage is 29.97, progressive, and I created the entire sequence as that, which was great. Unfortunately, once I finished, I learned that it needed to be 23.98.

At first I tried to change the framerate of the finished sequence, and turn on frame blending, but it came out jittery. So I went through and conformed all footage to 23.98, smoothed out the timing (some had shifted when footage was interpreted), and made sure all comps and precomps were set to 23.98 as well, and turned on frame blending, rendering out to a 23.98 file.

However, all the renders and RAM previews are still jittery, and I'm not sure what to do. It's not horrible, but it's definitely annoying. Most of the footage isn't retimed at all, just left as 100% speed at 23.98 fps. No interlacing...

Any input would be tremendously appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Stuttery Motion after 23.98 conform (HELP!)
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 2:26:14 am

If you're not worried about video/audio speed, you can can timestretch 80% the footage,(think timelapse cloud effects) or just simply reinterpret as 23.976 but both ways will be different speed/pitch.

If you need normal movement and audio pitch, it is a little harder but not impossible...

Apply timewarp, twixtor, magic bullet or nattress, and render out to 23.976 not 23.98 which is not precise enough for AE.

If you don't want to buy any plugins, you can do it using AE's built in timewarp that recreates frames to make 29fps to 23.976fps smooth as butter.

Timewarp requires the most work but comes with AE....
You will need Magnum's automatic scene detect to break the scenes into separate layers so that you can use timewarp without edit point problems. You can use's Andrew Kramer's frame rate converter
or just change the blend frames mode to timewarp mode or use my manual way...

What I use,
29.97p to 23.976 progressive

1.Put 29.97 video in new "start" comp
2. add effect->time->timewarp speed at 50%, filtering extreme,vector detail 20
3. make new "output" comp 59.94 fps and drop "start" comp inside it with timestretch 50%
4. output "output" comp with separate audio layer from original video at 23.976 fps fields off. add motion shutter blur if desired.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Stuttery Motion after 23.98 conform (HELP!)
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 8:51:45 pm

timestretch should be 125%,p not 80. which would slow down the footage and audio so that it's not studdery, but like I said, it's not useful for dialogue.

Return to posts index

Aron KantorRe: Stuttery Motion after 23.98 conform (HELP!)
by on Aug 15, 2009 at 12:32:03 am

Thanks for the input! It turned out that just changing all my comps from 23.98 to 23.976 soothed the jitters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved