ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Diet Coke Bubbles. Trippy Style

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Whishaw
Diet Coke Bubbles. Trippy Style
on Jul 20, 2009 at 8:20:48 pm

A friend of mine is interested in creating the funky bubble effects from an old Diet Coke commercial. I'm not an AE master and it looks like some serious 3D went into this piece. Anyone have any insight on how one could create this effect with just AE?

He also likes the following Bud Lime commercial. Some pretty serious compositing going on there.

Links to interesting tutorials or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Diet Coke Bubbles. Trippy Style
on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:22:38 pm

One word: Foam.
Second word: Planning.
third word: Time.
fourth: Lowered expectations.

Both of those spots probably had crews of ten to forty people on the graphics and animation side working with the director and art director from the beginning. Attempting to emulate high end craft with neither knowledge nor resources is compensated for only by having time and respect for your partners.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Paul Whishaw
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:04:06 am

I love the fourth word.

As soon as I saw the spots I started backing away. I'm a competent shooter/editor and have produced several Pay Per View sports shows, graphics and all, but those are high end spots. I've made it clear to my friend that AE is not my specialty.

I am going to play around though. I'll start digging around for foam tutorials.

Cheers.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jul 21, 2009 at 2:09:07 pm

The one tip I can tell you about Foam is, look down the list for a property called "Flow Map". This will use any black & white (grayscale) image as a "ramp" the bubbles roll down. (if you make it in AE, Pre-comp it)

White is high ground, black is low ground, shades of gray are the ramp. The bubbles move away from or avoid entirely white ares. You can even give the bubbles "tunnels" to follow. Just create a maze with white for the walls and black for the path you want the bubbles to follow. Make the path light gray fading to black to guarantee they flow the direction you want. It's fun to play with.

Hope this helps

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:36:06 pm

Having messed around with Foam for a while after reading this post, I'd recommend Trapcode Particular. You'll have MUCH more control over the bubbles and they work in AE's 3D space with the AE cameras (and now lights).

I made a black & white Flow map from a still of a coke bottle. Foam won't let you animate the Flow Map. It seems to use the first frame of the map, so even if you animate the black & white map, Foam still sees the first frame. Bummer!

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jul 21, 2009 at 8:01:52 pm

Yar, Trapcode leaps way ahead of Foam in all features including cost.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]