ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to "Spray" Artwork Onto a Surface

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Lillian Young
How to "Spray" Artwork Onto a Surface
on Jul 20, 2009 at 5:38:02 pm

I am using AE CS3/4, and I need to break up pieces of an image, then spray them onto a surface like spray paint or make them jump from space onto the object so that it's very energetic.

I am going to explore options, but I thought I'd check here as well in case someone has done this before and has a suggestion.

* No Expressions please - I don't know how to do expressions *

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: How to "Spray" Artwork Onto a Surface
on Jul 20, 2009 at 6:52:55 pm

There's a tutorial on this site that does what you describe.

The sample is here: http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae52_mov08_e.html

The tutorial here: http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae52_e.html#

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Thanks, Brian!
on Jul 20, 2009 at 8:00:46 pm

So many excellent tutorials out there, so little time to find and play them all.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jul 20, 2009 at 8:18:36 pm

I have to submit this asap, which is why walking through a tutorial for hours only to get stuck near the last step or for it not to work is a pain.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:17:36 pm

[Lillian Young] "I have to submit this asap, "

This is a well known disaster around here. Lots of newbies open up After Effects and explore a 3D particle system with ballistics and fractals for the first time against a deadline.

The process of learning to apply the ballistics backwards is not covered in the tutorial Brian pointed you to. That's another long topic, learning how to predict how Shatter will perform running backwards.

We wish you luck but I think most of us used Shatter on twenty or more projects before we got friendly with it. It's what we call a "complicated filter."

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jul 20, 2009 at 8:17:02 pm

Thanks. I am stuck at Step 4 - In the Fractal Noise effect panel, my Scale Width and Scale Height are grayed out.

I am trying these shatter techniques in the meantime

Shatter

Reverse Shatter
http://vimeo.com/groups/6404/videos/4674373

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:05:05 pm

You need to uncheck "Uniform Scaling".

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:43:51 pm

Thanks, Brian. I may give it another go.

For now I'm trying to create a splattering paint effect, like the paint is splashing the image onto a surface. I am using the Vector Paint plugin, and reversing it over the surface. That looks kinda cool to me, but I'm continuing to search for that 'splash' on look.

I may need to break up the art, add puppet points to give the pieces a wobble effect, and fly them in 3D space to the surface where they rejoin as one piece.

I don't know. I think there has to be a simpler way.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Jul 21, 2009 at 5:27:07 pm

You could get some black / white footage of paint splats (video copilot has them in the riot gear efx package) and use that as a track matte for your video footage. So it would "splat" your footage onto the screen.
Joey

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]