ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create BBC News style lower third

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Gent Ng
How to create BBC News style lower third
on Jul 15, 2009 at 8:31:57 am

Hi there I'm just really interested in how the BBC lower third is created. Here is the look I would like learn how to do (just for fun)

(@ 0:48)

Many Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
Re: How to create BBC News style lower third
on Jul 15, 2009 at 11:01:24 am

Easy way - create a couple of shape layers and keyframe the Transform properties or create a couple of solids and keyframe Scale.

Use text animation to bring the text in. Browse Presets and you'll see loads in "Animate In".

Find out more about Shapes and Shape layers and Text Animation in After Effect's help file.

Cheers,
Ben

Return to posts index

Lee Skinner
on Jul 15, 2009 at 2:08:36 pm

I'd try just making a couple solids. One red, and one white (or whatever colours you want really). Mask out the shapes you want to reveal (probably with rectangular mask), then either...

A) Set each solid's anchor point to the leftmost side of its mask, and as Ben suggested, adjust the transform properties (probably scale horizontally) and keyframe them to a timing of your liking.

OR

B) Animated each mask's path so that it goes from thin to wide.

OR

C) Apply a Linear Wipe effect on each solid, and animate from beginning to end accordingly.

The advantage to "A" will be that you will be able to achieve a motion blur, if that is what you want. As for the rest, the font looks pretty familiar, maybe trebuchet?

Design is what you leave out.

Return to posts index

Gent Ng
on Jul 15, 2009 at 8:00:45 pm

Cool thanks.

Do I have to render it somehow (like alpha....) to be able to place it in to Premiere Pro?

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:51:34 pm

Yes, yes you will.

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Jul 15, 2009 at 3:42:14 pm

Alternatively, if you want to go for the American (i.e. garish) look, try this free download from videocopilot.net

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2008/07/breaking-free-news-templates/

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]