ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

From Premiere to AE - transitions lost ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Nadeau
From Premiere to AE - transitions lost ?
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:57:09 pm

Hi everyone - thanks for reading this!

I'll cut to the chase: I work in Premiere for my editing and then import it to AE for some processing. Previously, I just exported a lossless .avi to import in AE and then work, but on some particular projects, i would like the flexibility to apply some effect on particular clips (because of some layering issues)

My problem is this : when importing my .prproj - AE seems to loose all my Video transitions that i did in premiere. hmm what do i do wrong here - because surely I must be missing something!

Thanks for any and all suggestion :)
NN

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: From Premiere to AE - transitions lost ?
on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:37:16 pm

i don't have any experience doing this, but it probable that the transition effects that were used in premiere are not available to ae. so if they weren't rendered, they won't show up.

my guess is that if you effect clips that you need to effect, then import the project back into premiere, the transitions will be there. but it's just logical speculation on my end, i don't work with dynamic link or premiere...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Nicolas Nadeau
on Jul 7, 2009 at 5:23:26 pm

Thanks for answering Kevin,

Unfortunately, your suggestion doesn't work. But it got me thinking.

The only thing that i want to do is apply video effects and transitions - i have no 3D integration or complicated composition to do - is there a way to "pull in" all the video filters in AE into Premiere ?

Especially that "glow" filter in AE that i'm missing in Premiere.

Any other ideas ?

Kevin - what are you using for editing / cutting to music ? (FCP?)

Cheers,
NN

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on Jul 8, 2009 at 2:27:09 am

Nicolas: Video transitions as they exist in an editing application like Premiere are not typical in a compositing application like After Effects. Como think of it, After Effects uses a layer-based model, so clips (layers) do not live in a common track (which is key to the concept of "transition"). Because of this, AE can't support most of transitions Premiere has when importing a Premiere Pro project. Only the cross-dissolve transition is supported. For other transitions, AE creates a solid layer with the same duration as the PPro transition.

As for your other question, Premiere Pro has many of AE's effects already built-in, but others are not.

Adolfo Rozenfeld ยท Adobe

Return to posts index

William Ackerman
on Jul 8, 2009 at 4:50:08 am

According to CS4 AE Manual, when importing a PPro project into AE:

"Transitions and titles (except for dissolves) included in your Adobe Premiere Pro project appear in the After Effects
composition as solid layers with their original location and duration."

Return to posts index

Nicolas Nadeau
on Jul 8, 2009 at 5:55:44 pm

Thanks for the precise answer guys. I'll figure something out.

Return to posts index

John Hammond
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:44:19 am

just to add - You can then use those solid layers as guides to re create your Prem effects.

Example: Just did a project where my collegue used a lot of Additive dissolves in Prem. Then I imported the project into AE and used these solid 'guide' layers to rebuild the additive dissolves in AE myself, sticking to the original timings, to the frame.

Sounds a bit long winded, but it was actually just a ten min job on a ten min video. And I read somewhere that AE has better quality internal calculations for creating it's effects... (?)

So I think for me at least, the work flow is: When editing don't attempt any complex 'effect' type stuff, just leave gaps or place holders so we can add the rest in AE and render straight from there.

Would be interested to hear about other people's work flows for this kind of thing.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]