ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

correcting overexposure through tracking/ cloning?

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Jon Iverson
correcting overexposure through tracking/ cloning?
on Jun 24, 2009 at 4:51:37 pm

I have been filming some exotic birds. The problem I'm having is that, although most of the birds are exposed correctly, the whitest portions are completely blown out (well beyond what the shadow/ highlight control can do). Unfortunately, I can't re-film this and I wonder if I can somehow clone over the overexposure with some footage where the white areas were exposed correctly. The birds move around a lot in the video, so I suspect some tracking will be necessary. Not sure how to go about this. In Photoshop, for a single image, it would have been easy, but video is another matter. If someone can point me to instructions/ tutorials/ videos for this specific type of problem, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
Re: correcting overexposure through tracking/ cloning?
on Jun 27, 2009 at 1:25:28 am

well, if it's really that bad and your only option is to stamp them back into correct exposure then what you'll want to do is duplicate the original footage (one duplicate for each bird perhaps), do your stamp as you normally would but set it to "paint on transparent". Then you can precomp it, set the anchor point to the center of the stamp, and manually/auto animate/track it. don't be afraid to use some distortion fx, and maybe even some match grain if it's noticable. also the comp's motion blur should match the motion blur of actual camera, so be wary of that as well.

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Jun 27, 2009 at 1:57:53 am

Thanks, however, I'm fairly new to AE in general and only somewhat follow the process you're sharing. Can you suggest any tutorials?

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Jun 27, 2009 at 4:07:29 pm

Hm, well let's see what's required. There isn't 1 single tutorial that i know of that teaches this.

Try these.
The Healer
Demon Face Warp
Basic Sky Replacement
Advanced Sky Replacement

...and if you find that he's talking over your head, just use these..
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

also, do not make the mistake that many make when watching tutorials; do not simply watch them and then try to memorize what he did. take advantage of the fact that it's a prerecorded video and PAUSE it, then try to do exactly what he just did, make sure you got it right, then resume the video. That is how you should watch the video. Also, when you're done, try to do what he did again without watching the video.

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Jun 27, 2009 at 5:19:04 pm

Thanks, I think they'll help a lot. I don't suppose there's a way to download and view them later? That would be the most helpful for me.

Jon

Return to posts index

Immanuel Morales
on Jun 27, 2009 at 6:15:50 pm

The Healer

Demon Face Warp

Basic Sky Replacement

Advanced Sky Replacement

..not sure how to download the basic training though. Maybe if you look around you might find a way, so far i haven't.

Dead the Fed

Return to posts index

Rob Jackson
on Jun 28, 2009 at 1:27:10 am

To download the files so you don't have to stream them:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/248/158

He also sells all of the first 65 tutorials on one DVD:

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/series_one/

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]