ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D tumble not really 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron labbe
3D tumble not really 3D
on Jun 23, 2009 at 9:55:53 pm

Just learning AE, I do stereoscopic imaging so the z axis is a huge deal for me! BUT I applied a Movement Transition to a layer- the "3D Tumble" effect, but it looks to be NOT 3D at all, some kind of simulation whose z-space remains unchanged. Is this a holdover from previous non-3D versions? Are there any 3D effects which ARE 3D? THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Keith Bradley
Re: 3D tumble not really 3D
on Jun 24, 2009 at 2:07:21 pm

What about the 3D glasses effect in AE? I once created a 3D box and made it tumble, used the 3D Glasses effect, put on the glasses and voila - 3D.
Keith Bradley

Return to posts index

ron labbe
on Jun 24, 2009 at 2:19:36 pm

I know how to create anaglyphs or other forms of stereoscopic imaging. The concern here is as the subject line says... the 3D Tumble (and other "3D" effects) are not 3D, they don't happen in z-space, but are only 2D illusions of z-space. I would hope that the 3D effects actually happen in all 3 axes (then I could use the "3D glasses" to output a tumbled layer that could be seen in 3D).

Currently I have two cameras set up for left and right views, I'm only interested in left and right output (which can later be combined in anaglyph)

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jun 24, 2009 at 3:49:40 pm

That's not an implementation of AE's 3D space, it's a fake effect.
It's entirely possible to do true 3D using AE's 2D shapes by creating two cameras with appropriate interocular and rendering each camera in separate passes.

However, AE is not a 3D modeler or 3D animation system and its limitations are clearly spelled out in Adobe's promotional literature. Well. not so much as a list of "AE CANNOT DO THIS" as a list of what it can do and the omissions become important.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

ron labbe
on Jun 24, 2009 at 3:56:36 pm

I know it's a fake effect, from the days before AE supported z-space. Now that it does, I hope it will implement real 3D effects. I had a layer, made it 3D, and when I applied the 3D Tumble, I certainly expected the layer to fly around in 3D space (I have 2 cameras setup).

With the renewed interest in stereo, I hope AE will jump on this since it really shouldn't be hard to add. (I've already notified the "wish list")

thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jun 24, 2009 at 6:02:02 pm

It sounds like you have your answer, but yes, for the most part, anything you want to have true depth in stereo needs to be a 3D Layer. I did a commercial using all 3D layers and flying the camera through them. For fun, I created a second camera and combined the 2 outputs with the 3D glasses effect. It worked quite nicely! It sounds like you don't even need that (3D glasses effect).

I'd love to hear your techniques for combining stereo images. I did that whole Nosferatu film, but I'm still just learning!

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

ron labbe
on Jun 24, 2009 at 6:37:36 pm

Ah, you did the Nosferatu... brave soul! You have an idea of how hard it is to convert footage, like when he was behind a bunch of flowers, for example. Never mind transparencies, smoke, reflections~!

Of course there is a stereoscopic thread, but one way people are outputting stereo movies is via a side by side or over/under format for left eye/right eye. Then Stereoscopic Player (for example) utility will play in a multitude of formats, including anaglyph.

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jun 25, 2009 at 3:39:34 am

We must chat! I know anaglyph (or had to learn enough to get through the film!). I have "free viewed" side by side stereo images (kind of like the dotted posters from the 90's). But am unaware of the players and other techniques. Tim Wilson tipped me to the 3D forum... I will have to spend more time there!

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]