ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Turn picture into tile based animation /mosaics

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Michael Paul
Turn picture into tile based animation /mosaics
on Jun 18, 2009 at 10:28:35 am

Now this is what I want to do: I want to turn a picture into say 8X8 squares (horizontally and vertically) and I want each square to rotate on its own. How would I pull this off?

PERSONALLY I would just cut my picture into those pieces (that could be a lot of work) and then make each one a 3d layer and spin each one around that way.

NOW the problem is my method might be a lot of work and I need to be able to replace the picture with ANY picture which wouldn't work with my method it seems.

Got any idea?

I'm already toying around with the Shatter tool but I've no idea how to make parts spin around that way on their own. This also might be a completly wrong way and you might have a better idea.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Turn picture into tile based animation /mosaics
on Jun 18, 2009 at 1:16:47 pm

Check out the Card Dance effect. It does what I think that you're describing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
on Jun 18, 2009 at 1:32:07 pm

Also check out this tutorial by Andrew Kramer on fractured design...
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/fracture_design/

Tim Robinson

tim@erobinsons.com

Pride-Mobility-Products

Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:24:04 pm

thanks a lot for the great reply.
i didnt know card dance existed but it seems to be exactly what I was looking for!

i am already toying around with it and looking at youtube videos but I have NOT found a way to make each tile rotate in on its own.

What I've planned: Make the first tile (upper left corner) rotate it (vertically) and then the others will eventually rotate in as well- you know the whole thing in a row like some HELIX.

how would that work with card dance?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:32:00 pm

You control the rotation of the tiles with a gradient layer. The luminance values of the gradient layer determine how and when the cards rotate.

To learn about control layers in general and how they are used by many different effects, see "About compound effects and control layers".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:49:25 pm

The ability to use gradients as controls for effects is a HUGE leap forward in your sophistication.
You can use movies for the gradients.
You can use each of the four channels of a source layer for each of four different controls because you can have four different gradients or movies in each of the four layers.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]