ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jittery Scroll

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Kahn
Jittery Scroll
on Jun 2, 2009 at 8:18:17 pm

First let me say, I know very little about after effects and everything that follows is from researching and trial and error with this current project. I know this question has been asked and answered in this forum but as much research as I have done, I can not fix my text scroll.

I am working with a credit roll that was created in Illustrator and brought into AE 9.0.1.51. I have applied the Autoscroll Vertical behavior and tried many different speeds. No matter what number I plug in for pixels per second, it doesn't seem to change anything. I have also applied the formula (n=2; // value in pixels per frame to move, use even values for field rendering
value-[0,(n*timeToFrames(time))]) for Title Center and entered a value of 20 (less then 1% of 2048 height. I am working on a 2K project.

I have also counted the number of pixels that the text moves per frame (6) and plugged that number in as "n" as well as pixels per frame.

Nothing that I do makes any difference. I am projecting this file onto a screen and there is a jitter or studder in every file. I have also tried with and without a motion blur (changing settings under Render Settings Best Settings and turning on and off motion blur).

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or numbers to plug in? Should I be using a motion blur filter?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Jittery Scroll
on Jun 3, 2009 at 3:13:28 am

i've never used the autoscroll preset so i'm not exactly sure how it works... the expresstion you mentioned sounds like one that i gave a few weeks ago and was meant to be used in the position property of the layer (it may work with autoscroll, but i've never tested it).

try the expression in the position property for your credit list layer. if 20 seems too fast try a lesser value. 1% of the comp height is a very loose limit and frame rate also comes into play. since you are working in 2k, i assume this is for a film, so with a lower frame rate you'll likely need a lower rate of movement.

also, ae's manual does give several suggestions for creating credit rolls and is worth checking out.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jun 3, 2009 at 4:00:59 am

Thanks for the help Kevin. How do I insert the formula in the position property?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 3, 2009 at 1:21:43 pm

select the credit layer and type the letter 'p' to bring up the position property.

with that property selected, choose animation>add expression. this will bring up the expression field. enter the expression here.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jun 3, 2009 at 2:42:43 pm

Kevin thanks for helping. Currently there are keyframes that are controlling the scroll. Should I delete these and then add the expression or keep them?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 3, 2009 at 2:53:15 pm

i think the expression will override the any keyframed values for the position property, but you may want to remove them. if you have the autoscroll preset applied, you may want to remove it (delete any effects and keyframes added by the preset).

the expression will take the starting position value and then just add the vertical offset from that point on. so on the first frame of the comp, just position the credits where you want them to start (usually offscreen-bottom) and they will start marching up the screen until the end of the comp.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:43:38 pm

Thanks Kevin! We got it working, turns out the original scroll was just too fast and when we use n=4 it looks better. N=2 looks best but is super slow.

Thanks so much for walking me through it.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]