ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need help replicating this effect

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Timothy Chew
Need help replicating this effect
on May 28, 2009 at 6:28:53 pm

I'm finishing up editing together a music video and am wondering if I could get some suggestions as to what effects I might use to replicate the feel of this music video, particularly the glow around 00:08-00:14 (and throughout)-

I've been playing around with keyframing the the glow and brightness and contrast effects. What I'm struggling with is isolating the glow to certain parts of the frame (I haven't been able to create a matte that looks natural). Is there a way to isolate the glow to just the highlights?

I hope this makes sense, please ask me to clarify if it doesn't. I'm a newb who probably has unrealistically high expectations.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Need help replicating this effect
on May 28, 2009 at 9:47:56 pm

I get "embedding disabled" on that clip.

Try posting the URL instead.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 28, 2009 at 11:10:38 pm

Yeah, the video's not showing up; it does not embed.

But off of the top of my head:

I'm not in front of my AE machine at the moment but there should be a threshold-type control in the glow effect's settings that will allow it to affect more or less of the image depending on its brightness. The higher the number the more it'll just be the highlights.

You say you're playing with the Brightness&Contrast controls? They are the worst tool for color correction. For more control use levels or curves (or both). Read the well-written Adobe help documentation for more info on them.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Timothy Chew
on May 29, 2009 at 12:18:40 am

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViebGCoM0nw"

Sorry about that guys. Yeah, I've played around with the glow effect threshold settings, and and I haven't quite been able to capture what I'm going for.

Return to posts index

Curt Thackeray
on May 29, 2009 at 12:55:25 am

I can tell already just by looking at the clip that this was done using Andrew Kramer's "TWITCH". Right out of the box it achives that effect. Depending on how desperate you are to get it done.. you should consider buying it. Go check out his site: Video Co-Pilot.net.
There you will see TWITCH in action. Not sure if he has a demo of it.. but if he does.. you might be able to replicate what he uses for the plug-in, using standard AE stuff.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on May 29, 2009 at 6:21:39 pm

try the exposure effect...that should get you closer than the glow effect to what the incubus video did.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]