ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hit and run FX

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Paul Crowe
Hit and run FX
on May 19, 2009 at 9:08:20 am

Hi folks

I've been asked to create a single shot hit and run effect similar to this one that Andrew Kramer did a while back.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/advanced_car_hit/

I'm pretty sure I've got the guts of his tutorial down, the thing is my shot ideally would

A) Have a hand held feel

and needs to

B) Pan after the vehicle in one continuous shot to see it drive off around a corner and also catch the body on the ground. As apposed to having the car leave frame and using separate shots to see the aftermath and car drive off etc.

as I say it all needs to be in one continuous shot. So Here's how I was thinking of doing it...

Basically just how andrew did it with the car leaving shot and an actor who gets hit shot on green screen and then delay the live action pan a little to follow the car and finally settle on a live action actor with blood/gore make-up on the ground (possibly just finishing a stunt roll).

what I was debating was the how to create the handheld feel. I guess I could try shooting it hand held which would create more motion tracking in post or do you think it's best/easier to keep it on the tri-pod do all the effects work and then try to create the Handheld feel by using some kind of low level twitch/earthquake fx to create the h/h movement - if you get what I mean.

Hope this kinda makes sense...

Any, hints, tricks, thoughts ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Hennell
Re: Hit and run FX
on May 19, 2009 at 10:50:35 am

For the hand held feel it'll be far far easier to do it in post. Tracking a hand-held shot will be tons harder then scaling the video up a bit & adding some wiggle. This tutorial with less motion would probably work - experiment a bit to find a method you like.

As for the one-shot it doesn't sound impossible but its hard to say without really being there. Make sure you get enough footage to cover in case you have to try a plan B, and it might be worth considering if other options will be easier (Like doing two shots masking the change with a 'conveniently in the way piece of flying debris' or a flash of light or something).

---
Only in after effects do children get to pick and whip their parents.
http://hennell-online.co.uk

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
Re: Hit and run FX
on May 20, 2009 at 11:21:05 pm

thank you both very much for your help. because of your helpful comments I think I know how I'm going to handle this now.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]