ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to contain FX within a mask?

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Danny Winn
How to contain FX within a mask?
on May 17, 2009 at 5:19:01 pm

Geeze, I know I should know this. I watch tons of tut's on the Cow and Video Copilot but I can't remember how to keep effects (Particles in this case) contained just within my mask.

It's for a simple "Go invisisble" effect.

With a tripod I filmed the gackground without actor, then with actor.
I then took a still of BG without actor and placed it on bottom, then of course added the clip with actor and used the pen tool to mask around the actor. Then at the right time keyframe lower my opacity to go invisible. I want to add particles within just the mask area of the actor for a more interesting invisible effect.

Forgot how to keep the FX just within mask area.

Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How to contain FX within a mask?
on May 17, 2009 at 5:28:44 pm

Put your mask on a separate layer and use that layer as a track matte.
Or put your particles in a different composition and mask the precomp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 17, 2009 at 5:37:43 pm

from "Create an adjustment layer":

"Use masks on an adjustment layer to apply an effect to only parts of the underlying layers. You can animate masks to follow moving subjects in the underlying layers."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Danny Winn
on May 17, 2009 at 10:28:04 pm

I must be missing something here. Still no success.

1st off though, thanks for responding guys.

I have tried both methods above but I must be missing one little thing or something.

I have tried creating a new solid, lowering opacity and drawing my mask around the actor, then adding the particles, but the particles still fill the whole frame not just the mask (with track matte on or off, doesn't seem to matter).

I tried the same thing with an adjustment layer with the same results.

Can you tell me where I'm messing up here or what important step I'm missing? The Adobe help does not seem to have a section on keeping effects contained within a mask.

Thanks again;)

Return to posts index

Danny Winn
on May 18, 2009 at 12:00:33 am

Ok, I think I figured it out!

What I had to do was create the mask in an adjustment layer, but my hang up was that since I was using Particle World, I had to go to Options then Rendering and select the "Blend with original 2D" button.

That seemed to do the trick well.

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]