ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

best green screen color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yuriy niksych
best green screen color
on May 9, 2009 at 10:26:04 am

right, I've seen many tutorials about green screens but they are very vague about the actual color. All I know it should be a non-reflective bright, saturated green (or blue), but can I get more specific info?

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: best green screen color
on May 9, 2009 at 11:57:35 am

You can use paper, fabric or painted wall. The best in my opinion is painted wall.

Buy green or blue chroma paint, I use Rosco. You can get it at B&H or any good supplier.

Second best in my opinion is a chroma key fabric stretched on a fame.

Cheapest but OK is chroma key BG paper.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

yuriy niksych
on May 9, 2009 at 1:15:53 pm

hi! I plan to buy some fabric and pin it to a wall, to clarify my question is there a specific shade of green that I should get- I don't know what those are measured in in fabric stores but in photoshop it's around #00FF12

Return to posts index

Paul Hennell
on May 9, 2009 at 2:45:50 pm

Generally I believe the plan is 'As green as possible' (e.g. #00ff00) that's the target. However, as you've discovered, reflectivity is largely more important - no use it being the perfect green and having bright spots of light and dark spots of shadow. Any fairly bright, strong colored green should work.

---
Only in after effects do children get to pick and whip their parents.
http://hennell-online.co.uk

Return to posts index

yuriy niksych
on May 9, 2009 at 3:18:29 pm

cool thanks!

Return to posts index

Don Sommers
on May 9, 2009 at 4:03:10 pm

Been doing green/blue screen for years.

Here's a few things that have worked for me for the low to medium budget shots...
- use a two-sided (green / blue) fabric screen (I use mostly the collapsible ones). I can't count how many times I've had to switch between them because the subjects arrive wearing something that ends up keying out ... or they have white or grey hair (which is horrible to work with in green but excellent to key in blue)
- use a minimum of 2 good fresel lights with a Rosco frost in front of them. Buy multiple sheets of different types of frost so you can easily clip them to the barndoors to vary the amount of light you cast onto the green/blue screen
- use fresnels because you can open them to full open and get a good beam ... use Arri's or Dedo's (if you can afford them)
- keep the subject at least 10 ft. away ... or you'll get spill (especially with green screen)
- use 1 or 2 good 150w back/hair lights (with frost) ...it helps to kill spill on the back of the subject
- use a KinoFlo Diva (if you can afford it ..they are the best) or a softbox for Key and fill lights
- finally, set your video camera to MANUAL!! and get the right settings ... have someone or some thing as your test BEFORE the talent arrives
- write down or save your settings on the video camera for next time so you'll have a starting place (saves a ton of time in setup)
- shoot darker rather than lighter (you can always lighten up a dark shot... but you can't fill in blown out whites afterwards)

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on May 9, 2009 at 5:11:20 pm

Good advice, plus: If you have access to a laptop with adobe OnLocation or Serious Magic DV Rack (the same program with different labels) use it. Try and get the greenscreen to about 40 IRE - a very good compromise between brightness and saturation. Then light your subject.

And I have to echo the rim light comment - separation is your friend.

I tend to use white silk for my lights on the greenscreen. It spreads the beam out and evens things nicely.

All that said, sometimes I've had to do greenscreened interviews in a room where we had the subject 4 feet in front of the backdrop and I was six feet from them. It takes a lot of fiddling under those circumstances, but it can be done.

Good luck with it - keep us posted on how it goes.

Return to posts index

yuriy niksych
on May 10, 2009 at 1:34:35 pm

ok sorry but I'm a real newbie. Ok thus far I've seen 2 general tints in the tutorial videos:

so far from what I understand A is better?

Return to posts index

Don Sommers
on May 10, 2009 at 3:14:38 pm

"A" looks like "B" with lights added to me.

Honestly, you'll have to experiment. I have found that THE most important thing for me has been watching out for spill. Keylight and other keyers do an excellent job of getting rid of most of the background by default (even if it's somewhat uneven) ... but there is nothing worse than having the bright green background spill onto the edges of hair, clothing (etc.) and having it destroy your key.

You can have THE best and most evenly lit background in either blue or green ... and spill will kill it.

Return to posts index

Dino Muhic
on May 10, 2009 at 5:27:41 pm

I would say B is better. Dave LaRonde once made a comment about keylight and which shades of green it likes most and he said that a darker green like in "B" should be better when using kelight.

After my tests I agree with him. Which means don't go over 60 IRE

Dino Muhic - Media Producer
VFX - Motion Graphics - Web-Design - Or just ART
http://www.dinomuhic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on May 11, 2009 at 1:47:04 am

Can we make this thread a sticky?

Return to posts index

yuriy niksych