ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Time Freeze/remapping

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Josh Holdens
Time Freeze/remapping
on May 3, 2009 at 7:45:18 am

I am wanting to do a time freeze effect where one character throws something in the air freezes and second character comes into the scene and takes the object away. Second How would I go about achieving the effect where someone is about to fall, but time freezes and another character places a soft object(pillow, cushion) in scene, time unfreezes and frozen character falls on that instead of the hard surface.

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
Re: Time Freeze/remapping
on May 3, 2009 at 3:50:42 pm

Hi Josh,

You might want to check out this tutorial: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/timeFreezeCow.php

In short, the basic idea is to duplicate the video layer and use masks to cut out the bits you want on each layer (usually after using time remapping to freeze certain layers).

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Josh Holdens
on May 4, 2009 at 2:05:41 am

Thanks Simon for the tip, but I'm already familiar with video copilot, and I've taken a look at that tutorial and am just not seeing the relationship between the person who is falling and the person who is putting in or taking out a new object(pillow to fall on for example), also what about the case in which someone throws some object in the air time freezes and another person comes in takes it from mid air. For instance in the video copilot tutorial what if Sam 1 tripped holding the boxes and then the clone came, in the middle of the time freeze, and took those boxes? How would this be achieved, or some ways to go about this?

Return to posts index

Viacheslav Sasykin
on May 4, 2009 at 5:52:39 am

The biggest problem you are going to experience (if you’ll go the way described by A. Kramer in that tutorial) is a motion blur. Object frozen up in the air and all blurred... it just does not look good. You can find some clear frames when the object at its pick of height and has lowest speed, but not sure if it can save you.
Actually if you want to do it right, you have 2 options:
1. wire you object (ball, box, whatever). Then do wire removal and compositing. I really suggest you to watch famous Philips ad 21:9 and latest issue of FXGuide TV dedicated to that spot (making of).
2. create your object (make duplicate of the object) and animate it in 3D program.
Depending on what exactly you want (what is in your script, what your object is gonna be) you may will have to combine all of those techniques (and may be plus match moving and camera tracking).
There are a lot of details I’m not gonna go into (just because it will be too long) but hope it will give you the idea.

Return to posts index

Josh Holdens
on May 4, 2009 at 7:28:57 am

thanks a ton! This a big help!

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]