ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

compositing 3d text into footage

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
ben federman
compositing 3d text into footage
on Apr 10, 2009 at 10:24:59 pm

For awhile now I've been trying to mimic the titles in Fox's FRINGE or the opening from PANIC ROOM.
Not only have I found it very difficult to recreate such an effect, I cant seem to find an article or tutorial to help me learn how to do it.

in my scouring of the interwebs i found this:
http://graphic-engine.swarthmore.edu/?p=194

this post discuses the the technique I'd like to learn but does not mention any way on how to do it.

If anyone knows a good way to go about making these titles, I would greatly appreciate the help; just keep in mind that while my After Effects skills range from intermediate to advanced; my 3d (Cinema4d) skills can best be compared to "bunny hill slope" beginner.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Jack Watts
Re: compositing 3d text into footage
on Apr 11, 2009 at 4:54:58 am

hi, this effect is achieved as Dave mentioned before by using a 3d app then compositing the rendered text sequence in AE. the industry term associated with this technique is called Matchmoving or 3D tracking. Now one of the most popular 3d tracking programs is boujou or my preferred app "syntheyes". however these programs do cost a pretty penny (up to $15,000) but there is a freeware app called VooDoo that might be of some benefit to you. Im sure there are tutorials out there on it, just google for them. but the best way is to just snoop around within the program yourself. Also in relation to Fringe, the opening titles where the particles collect themselves to form the text, im pretty sure Boris Continuum Complete 6 was used in AE to create that otherwise it was also done within a 3D App.

Hope this helps your in you learning.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Apr 11, 2009 at 2:47:08 pm

Video Copilot has some tutorials on this.. check em out.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.2

AE CS3

Return to posts index

ben federman
on Apr 11, 2009 at 7:43:58 pm

thanks to all for your help so far.
i only wish i had asked about this soon, because iv already gone nuts trying to do it!

also, as much as i love videocopilot, andrew doesn't seem to have a specific tutorial on what i want to accomplish.

if someone could point me in the direction of which 3d app to use and how to use it, i would greatly appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]