ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Where is the render error log kept?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Mayer
Where is the render error log kept?
on Apr 4, 2009 at 5:30:09 pm

I'm having render errors that stop the render, and i'd like to check to log but can't find how to view it! Anyone know where the log is kept so I can see what the problems are?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Where is the render error log kept?
on Apr 4, 2009 at 7:19:50 pm

from the "Render settings" section of After Effects Help:
"When a log file has been written, the path to the log file appears under the Render Settings heading and Log menu."

On my computer, the location happens to be here:
C:Documents and SettingskoprivaMy DocumentsAdobeAfter Effects CS4AE Project Logs...

I found this using this search of After Effects Help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Elias Huch
on Jan 22, 2010 at 2:59:13 pm

Where is it located on a Mac?

Elias Huch
Motion Graphics Designer
Reelvizion Productions

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:04:17 pm

If you read the response that I gave to the earlier question, you'll see this:
"When a log file has been written, the path to the log file appears under the Render Settings heading and Log menu."

putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Brent Griffin
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:03:18 am

So where is the Render Settings and Log Menu then? Searched the manual, and the menus and help of AE, and granted it's early in the morning and i'm frustrated beyond belief with AE, but I can't find the logs...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:27:55 am

The location is given, as stated, under the Render Settings heading and Log menu. Here's a screenshot:

Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on May 10, 2011 at 2:15:06 pm

Why do you want to help people but be rude at the same time?

You've replied to some of my inquiries recently in a similar way. I can't believe you are a representative of Adobe and that they let you solicit yourself as such.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Russ Hull
on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:18:57 am

I completely agree with Kevin. To absolutely nobody does the phrase "under the render heading and log menu" mean anything. You could have been much more clear in your explanation, especially for a representative of Adobe.

Return to posts index

David Martin
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:25:15 pm

What makes Kopriva's snideness worse, is that there is (another) bug in the Mac version. If you select "errors" only, in the pop-up in the render setting dialog, AE does NOT write a log file. If you select "plus frame info", then it does indeed show a path to a log file and writes it. See attached screenshot

And, no, this bug ain't in the FM.

Return to posts index

Glo Butane
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:05:29 pm

So do I change Log: to Plus Per Frame info then re-render to get the error log on Mac OS X?

Return to posts index

Jeroen Houben
on Apr 5, 2012 at 2:11:48 pm

So, any news on where the error log is hidden on a Mac?
I looked everywhere, but it's nowhere to be found, and the AE manual doesn't shed any light on the situation as well.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 5, 2012 at 2:46:52 pm

Jeroen, see the screenshot in my post above. When a render is complete, expand the Render Settings group in the Render Queue panel. The path to the log file is shown there.

product manager, professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Jan 24, 2013 at 9:30:44 am

Hi Todd,

I received a message that errors occurred in my render (missing frames because of multiprocessing) but no link to a log file appeared in the render settings. I selected to log 'errors only'.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Shayan Khaliq
on Jun 6, 2013 at 11:08:14 pm

Todd Kopriva is a robot, and only replies back with the same text he's originally posted. He doesnt seem to have the ability to respond to new queries being asked within the same thread, he will continue to respond with the same text. 1 Dimensional, yes. Helpful, not really.

Return to posts index

David Aldridge
on Jan 5, 2014 at 5:42:17 pm

reviving an old post here... Question 1.....I get the same error... a failed frame due to multiple frames render settings etc. The question is - AE says it switcthed from background to foreground rendering at frame 123, ... does this mean the render is good? who cares ultimately for this specific render if it was accomplished back or foreground, worry about setting next render.

Comment 1.....as for log file location - it appears that AE creates a log folder in the same folder location as your project and names the log file the same name as your project with a bunch of log goobiloo junk appended to the file name.... nose around in the project folder. This might be useful if you already closed out the render files in AE render queue and can not get to the screen shot information shown above. NOTE, I just happened to set my render file out file to the same folder as my project.... so I may have established this folder location when I did that... either look in the render folder location if you created one somewhere else other than the root project drive/folder... or look in the root project folder/file location.

I am running AE cloud now. My sig might be wrong, if it matters

CS5.5 web premium and premiere pro user
I7 2600 16g ram SSD GTX 460

Return to posts index

James Poulakos
on Oct 3, 2014 at 3:54:27 pm

Very helpful for me today--thanks Creative Cow members!

I could not find where AE CS6 stored a render log on my Mac. This thread led me to it.

I changed the (default?) option of logging errors only. I can see that option in the Render Queue panel, when I expand the Render Settings for a video in the queue. The panel does not show where the log is stored on a Mac, however. Todd Kopriva's post appears to be mistaken, at least where AE CS6 on Mac is concerned.

I changed it to Plus Per Frame Info. Now I can make quick render comparisons to help me budget my render time better. Nice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]