ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replacing Imported Illustrator layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herm Medina
Replacing Imported Illustrator layers
on Mar 27, 2009 at 5:07:05 pm

Is there a way to replace all my imported illustrator files in one shot versus selecting each individual file/layer. I can reload all in one shot, but not replace, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Replacing Imported Illustrator layers
on Mar 27, 2009 at 5:59:17 pm

Not sure if I'm following your need but if you replace the AI items in the project with new files, they will be replaced in the comps. Magic.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Herm Medina
on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:11:10 pm

When I import an AI file as a comp with cropped layers, After Effects generates a Comp and a folder with my AI layers within it. My problem is this; If I want to replace the AI layers I must select each individual layer and replace manually, if I have 25 layers this proves to be a bit tedious. I want to know if there is a way to replace all in one shot.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Mar 27, 2009 at 8:35:57 pm

So you're saying you tried my suggestion and it didn't work. Seems to work for me but I'm not watching over your shoulder nor am I working the same way.

Lots of things are "tedious" in this business. Most are dealt with in preplanning and anticipation of weird workflows. For instance, since the AI files are actually comps, you can easily replace the media in the precomp, especially if you deliberately set them up that way when you start your project.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Ben Reckelhoff
on Jan 21, 2012 at 2:21:14 am

I completely understand this question. I have been working with a large illustrator file which, when imported and broken down into cropped layers (even if you intend to pre-compose immediately), consists of hundreds of AE layers. When you re-open on a different machine or HD with a new location for your source assets, there is going to be this problem. Typically, AE sorts out the file-path issues, but it seems that it can't recognize which layers within a singe source asset to reconnect to, if there are multiple.

Strange problem, since it appears the naming scheme for the cropped layers remains unchanged and the file path only points to the single source asset, not a specific layer. It seems like some string pattern recognition could solve this pretty easily.

Sorry there's no solution yet, but know that there are those of us that sympathize with this often unforeseen hurdle.

Return to posts index

Ben Reckelhoff
on Jan 21, 2012 at 9:02:33 pm

SOLUTION:

Look at the file path for the missing layers (specifically where the original asset is being looked for).

Copy and paste this file path information.

Close AE without saving any changes.

Make the copied file path true.
(For me, this meant creating a new folder in my Users folder and then adding a sub-folder for 'Downloads' and then adding my source file.) Essentially, make AE do zero work in searching for the source file.

Reopen AE and then open your project. Your project should re-link appropriately.

Return to posts index

Joao Monteiro
on Mar 5, 2014 at 1:20:59 pm

This also makes sense to me.
I've a tiny different problem this time.

Imagine I have an illustrator document with 50 layers, called V01.
I've imported into AE as a composition with cropped layers. I show some graphics to the client.
I get feedback from the client and need to run an update on my AI file. I create V02 with some updated graphics.
Now I want to update my layers in AE without having to replace all my layers individually.
Also I want to keep the name as V02 and not fake it is called V01.
(The layer names in AI remain exactly the same, so it won't be any missing links).

Thanks
Joao

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]