ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop transform equivilant? (and other questions)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikkell khan
Photoshop transform equivilant? (and other questions)
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:38:18 am

Hi, I have some elements in a after effects composition that I would like to warp and transform in a similar way I would do in photoshop. For example, a solid, it seems all I can do is scale it, rotate it, change orientation, but I don't have the ability to change the points (vectors) to modify the actual shape of the solid, it remains a square or rectangle.

Is there any way to modify the vectors so instead of the square or rectangle, I could get something like, say a triangle or a flat topped pyramid (the name of this shape escapes me right now)?

Oh and also, say I wanted to change the graphic of an image that is placed on the composition, is there an effect to do that? For example, I have an animation of a laptop opening, and after the laptop opens, I would like a graphic to appear on the screen. As it stands right now, the laptop screen itself is a graphic I made in photoshop.

Would I have to create a second image of the visual I want on the screen, copy the attributes of the screen to this image and then have it 'start' when the previous image 'ends' or is there an easier way by just having the graphic 'change' at that point by some effect?

Finally, is there some way to make a 3d shape (with the 3d shape property in After Effects) only show on one side? Right now it shows on both sides.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Photoshop transform equivilant? (and other questions)
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:24:18 pm

WOW! Are you working on Lord of the Ringers IV?

Hehe, just kidding eh. Come on dude. Get real. You're asking for a lot - which is fine actually BUT it seems that you lack the basics. I'm at a lost as to how to assist you, other than to ask that you take things one step at a time - ie. learn the basic of the software.

Perhaps you'll want to provide a graphic of what you have and then we can take you along one or two or even three steps at a time but right now, as things are, KNOWING that you don't have the fundamentals, it's likely going to be a waste of time.

Apologies if I sound harsh but do give us something to work with.

Bestest
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available)

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:24:35 pm

Let's take these one-by-one:

1.) In order to change a shape, you have a couple options. If you just want to stick with 4-sided shapes, you can use the Corner Pin effect. The preferred method in this case would be to use masks. Use the pen tool (or shape tool) with your solid layer selected and you can draw your shapes at will. (Just make sure to include all the points you would need for your animation. For example, if you're morphing a square to a pentagon, you'll want to start with 5 points.) If its not already visible, twirl down your layer properties and keyframe the Mask Shape property. Instant animation! Definitely play around with this as sometimes the results can be unexpected and undesirable.

2.) There are many, many ways to accomplish what you're setting out to do here. Without seeing your comp, I can't give you any specific help, but I will say you already have the right idea, having separate graphics. If it's something like the laptop screen you mention, you may want to pre-compose those layers. Select your layers for the screen and hit Command-Shift-C (Control-Shift-C on Windows). This way, you can animate your transitions in a separate comp and they'll stay together in your main comp.

3.) Lastly, I do not believe it is possible to have a 1-sided 3D shape. I could be wrong though, as I've never had the need for such an effect. Someone else might be able to provide a bit more help there.

CS3, FCS2
[Note: Using Particular, 3-D Stroke, and now Form do not instantly make your designs "teh awesome."]

Return to posts index

Adriano Ninguem
on Mar 17, 2009 at 3:17:20 pm

Hi there.

For making the object one sided you can apply this expression to the 3D shapes opacity:

if (toCompVec([0, 0, 1])[2] > 0 ) value else 0

(to apply an expression ALT+click the stopwatch of the property)

Is right there on our best friend F1.

Good luck.

Cheers.

ninguem.

Return to posts index

mikkell khan
on Mar 17, 2009 at 4:25:12 pm

Thank you for all your responses. I'll try them out but based on the explanations I can't see myself having too much trouble. I just wanted to know different and possibly more efficient ways to do things in After Effects.

Return to posts index

mikkell khan
on Mar 17, 2009 at 5:31:16 pm

I actually tried this expression but the opacity no matter what stays at 0? Any thought on why it might be like that?

Return to posts index

Adriano Ninguem
on Mar 17, 2009 at 6:35:17 pm

Seems to be working pretty well here.

I donĀ“t really know what might be wrong.

Is it still happening?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

mikkell khan
on Mar 18, 2009 at 2:07:55 am

Well, I see your rotating it on one axis. That may be my problem. As I have some of my 'faces' tilted and slanted. Here, let me upload a picture for you to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Free Image Hosting at <a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.ImageShack.us'>http://www.ImageShack.us</a>

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Return to posts index

Adriano Ninguem
on Mar 18, 2009 at 2:31:17 am

Actually I can rotate that in all directions. I just posted that one as an example. Tought you would not need all the angles.

Let me try again:

Try not to make the world a bunch of YES and NOs....

Sorry I was really busy at the time....

All the best and good luck to you. Goodbye is all I have to say.

Also Cheers.

ninguem

over and out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]