ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Convert to lab color space.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross McDowell
Convert to lab color space.
on Mar 5, 2009 at 9:33:19 pm

Hello All!

Just a quick question. Is there any way to convert a movie to lab color space, apply an effect to luminance and chrominance, and then convert it back to its original color space profile?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

R

Ross McDowell
Animation Student

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: Convert to lab color space.
on Mar 6, 2009 at 2:13:45 am

Often times, just duplicating your layer, and applying the desired effect, for example a Blur, then setting the transfer mode of the filtered top image to Luminosity (L) or Color (ab) has practically the same result.

For even more Lab-like manipulation (for example separate filters for a & b), try converting from RGB to Yuv, which is nearly the same as Lab, and the way in wich most digital video is encoded behind the scenes:

Create a comp with your video
give it 2 "Channel -> Channel Combiner" effects
set the first effect From: RGB to YUV
set the second effect From: Red to Red Only

Duplicate that layer twice and set the second effect in the new layers "green to green only" and "blue to blue only."

Set the top 2 layers to transfer mode: screen, add or lighten (makes no difference)

Add an adjustment layer with Channel Combiner YUV to RGB. Everything should look back to normal now.

Now the bottom layer is Y (L), the 2nd to last = U(a) and the 3rd to last is V(b)

You can now apply any effect on any channel separately (place them after the channel combiners)

If you'd ever want to filter RGB separately, loose the Adj Layer, and the first RGB to YUV effects..

I hope that makes sense, just try it.

Return to posts index

Ross McDowell
on Mar 6, 2009 at 11:39:47 am

Ah thank you Filip,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will give that a try as soon as I get a chance. Do you know of any resources for things like this such as color profiles etc? I have looked around online and havent had much luck apart from a few adobe white papers. It is all very interesting stuff.

Also to Dave sorry if my question was a little vague, I wasnt actually looking to apply it to any footage I am working on at the moment, but was just asking the question out of general wonder-ment.

Any more information would be awesome!

Thanks

Ross

Ross McDowell
Animation Student

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Mar 6, 2009 at 3:33:19 pm

Well, the stuff I discussed doesn't really have anything to do with Color space in the Colorsync sense of the word. It's just about manipulating channels with effects as one would do in Photoshop by selected just 1 channel.

If you want some insight in Color management and using profiles within adobe apps (it's confusing), I suggest you start at Stu Maschwitz's Blog at prolost:

http://prolost.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]