ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

phantom keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Potter
phantom keyframes
on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:36:00 pm

This one is completely weird.

I have a composition with a simple still image that moves along a linear path.
I want it to move to position 1, stop there for a few seconds, then move to position 2 and stop there.

There are 2 position keyframes of identical value over a few second period that denote
that it should stay in one place.

Somehow, AE thinks there is an additional keyframe; it starts out at position keyframe 1, moves to another position of it's own making, with no keyframe to mark it, and then moves back to identical keyframe in position 2.

There are no other keyframes on the layer.

How do I make it stop?

Thanks.

-a

Return to posts index

Grant Swanson
Re: phantom keyframes
on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:53:07 pm

Hi Andrew,

Use one Hold Keyframe instead of two identical keyframes. This sort of thing is exactly what they're made for.

Grant Swanson
Visual Effects Supervisor
Video Apex - Minneapolis, MN
videoapex.net

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Jan 30, 2009 at 11:50:31 pm

Also it may be an interpolation problem. Select both keyframes and right click on them, then choose "keyframe interpolation..."
and set de Spatial interpolation to "linear"

The problem you describe happens sometimes when the spatial interpolation is set as auto bezier/ continuos bezier

Return to posts index

Bobby Hougham
on Feb 1, 2009 at 9:49:50 pm

you can also use the Convert Vertext tool (one of the pen tools) and when you have your layer selected select all the position keyframes, and click on one of the keyframes in your composition window. if you zoom into your motion path you can sometimes see how due to interpolation, your path is going crazy. killing the curves with the CV tool is a fast way to solve it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Murphy
on Jun 10, 2012 at 4:30:42 pm

I'm not sure if the original question was the same as mine when I googled my problem, but this response answered my question. I was keyframing a photo to slowly crawl from left to right, and in the middle, the image was sliding back and forth from left to right of its own volition with no visible keyframe indicating an actual command for those movements. When I followed this advice, it immediately fixed my problem.

Return to posts index

Kevin Murphy
on Jun 10, 2012 at 4:32:21 pm

Sorry... my above post was in reference to ALEX CANTU's response to the original question. Thanks so much, Alex!!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]