ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

expanding ring of circles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Clotz
expanding ring of circles
on Jan 15, 2009 at 2:57:45 am

I want to have a bunch of circles arranged on the screen in the shape of a circle, evenly distributed, and I need for them to be able to move inward and outward from the center (all at the same time). What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: expanding ring of circles
on Jan 15, 2009 at 3:22:44 am

The Text Tool with an animated circular text path should do the trick.

Cheers
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available)

Return to posts index

Bill Clotz
on Jan 15, 2009 at 8:49:21 pm

This sort of works, but what would be the best way of animating the path? I'm having a lot of difficulty with that aspect of it, as masks don't have their position values as readily accessible as say, a layer position property. I need a perfectly circular mask in the center of my composition to animate from a size of nothing, up to where the edges are off screen.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 16, 2009 at 12:19:59 am

If you have fit to path for the text tool then it's lot easier.

Animating the path requires keyframes to the mask shape property. To draw a perfect circle, choose the elliptical quickmask tool and depress the shift key as you click and drag the mouse. To draw the center, move the cursor to the center of the comp. clcik in the center and drag the mouse. As you drag, add the ctrl key and then the shift key. The ctrl key draws the circle/sllipse from where you first clicked and dragged the mouse.

The path an be of any size and shape - ie, a very small circle (one pixel) and extend out, outside of the comp panel. The tricky part is to animate the text (circles) to keep in sync with the circle but this is actually quite easy.

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available)

Return to posts index

Neil K Carroll
on Jan 15, 2009 at 9:32:33 pm

This is how I would probably do it.

Plot out the motion you would like with one circle. - Precomp it. - use instances of the precomp rotated equally to create your circle of circles w/ uniform motion.

I hope that helps.

Neil
http://www.nickelcitygraphics.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]