ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing 3D in After Effects CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khurram Suhrwardy
Importing 3D in After Effects CS4
on Jan 14, 2009 at 7:27:23 pm

I have installed After Effects CS4 on a PC and want to utilize its 3D functions. I have a Mac with Photoshop CS3 Extended.

I imported a 3D text that I created in 3D Max in photoshop, applied an overlay effect and saved as psd.

I imported that PSD in After Effects as a composition with Photoshop 3D Live to have it as a 3D object.

It imports as a 3D object, but it is distorted, it is not antialised and get other artifacts which makes it useless.

Here are the two comparisons

Photoshop CS3 Extended - puracultura3dpsd.jpg
After Effects CS4 - puracultura3d03aep.jpg

Is After Effects Photoshop 3D Live not optimised yet or am I missing something. Any other with successful experiences with this workflow please enlighten me.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Lyndon Alvarez
Re: Importing 3D in After Effects CS4
on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:51:53 pm

Alright homie I got you if you havn't already figured this out (or to anyone else who isn't getting a response they want from these seris of posts).

What you want to do, like already stated by (i forgot), is change the anti-aliasing.

To do this go to window-3D.

When the window displays, click on the top left icon. It should read "3D {SCENE}"

Below the scene layers you will see anti-alias. It defaults to draft.

Click on the drop down arrow and select Best.

Now remember, when you do this and save then open up in after effects, unless you're computers a beast it's gonna be made slow. What I reccomend is just keep it set at draft and save. Do the work in AE till you get the animation right, save the project, open the original photoshop file & change the anti-alias to best, save, then reopen your AE file. And there you go, all your animations stick and everything looks slick.

Hope that helps you all ;)

Return to posts index

Brennan Shappell
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:21:02 pm

1018_pscs53dpane.jpg.zip

This is what my 3D window looks like. For some reason, there are no aliasing options. I have tried importing a 3d studio max file and creating a 3d object in Photoshop... the window stays the same. I have also tried going to Edit->Pref.->3d enabling raytrace and open GL, to no avail. Am i missing something obvious here? It's a little frustrating, i must admit ;)

Thanks a lot
Brennan

Return to posts index

dan smith
on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:20:51 pm

I think that Adobe changed the render engine and the AA settings no longer applied. I just applied draft raytracing (rather than the default 'interactive' setting) and then refreshed my model in AE. Its SLOW as anything, but it looks much better.
d

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]