ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

wrinkled text effect (like Heroes) - how do I do it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Messinger
wrinkled text effect (like Heroes) - how do I do it?
on Jan 7, 2009 at 11:05:19 am

Hi,
I have a shot of my bedroom with a sheet spread over the bed. I want to put a text layer on the sheet, as if it was printed on the sheet itself.
So, the text should be a bit wrinkled, with few 'waves' (like the sheet).
As I see it I should use 2 effects:
1. effect for the text to seems wavey and wrinkled
2. effect to deform the words, so, for example, if I write HELLO, the H should be bigger and the L should be smaller cause the cloth is a bit folded at that point...

In 'Heroes' TV series, you can usually see it at the start of each episode. The name of the episode is written on a stair (for example) and it is deformed and has the shape of the stair.

I hope you catch my drift here...
Help needed!
Roy

Return to posts index

Roy Messinger
Re: wrinkled text effect - how do I do it?
on Jan 7, 2009 at 11:11:47 am

In 'Heroes' TV series, you can usually see it at the start of each episode. The name of the episode is written on a stair (for example) and it is deformed and has the shape of the stair.

Roy

Return to posts index

Jack Watts
Re: wrinkled text effect - how do I do it?
on Jan 7, 2009 at 1:11:57 pm

From watching a compilation of each episode on youtube it really depends on which way you want to implement the text into the scene. For the basis of the text moving either on the X or Y axis simple tracking of the footage within after effects will suffice. When it comes to more complicated scenes involving rotation or position modification you might have to use a 3d tracking program like boujou. Now another method would be using the shatter effect in AE and manually keyframing the properties of the variables within the plug-in to match the 3d environment that you are compositing into. This would be long and tedious and not to mention tiring, and i personally would jump into boujou if available.

"Simplicity over limitation"

Return to posts index

Elad Menashe
Re: wrinkled text effect (like Heroes) - how do I do it?
on Jan 7, 2009 at 1:16:50 pm

There are several ways to pull this through.
Programs like Mocha or Boujou can help you specify the plane or the way the camera moved in real life (respectively).
To get the wrinkled text effect (as if the text was on the cloth) you should use displacement mapping, I'd start with setting the cloth as the displacement map for the text and see how it goes and adjust it from there.
The displacement map effect is found in Effect > Distort > Displacement Map.

Andrew Kramer had a tutorial on how to work with Boujou

There are alternatives to Boujou, to name a few: PFTrack, Realviz' Match Mover Pro (though they don't sell it anymore) and there's another freebie one which I don't recall its name.

Hope that helps
Elad

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jan 7, 2009 at 4:53:51 pm

You got another answer to this same question on adobe.com. Might want to go back to all of your forums where you've asked the same question and tell everyone whose advice and which techniques you used and how it worked out for you.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Rhett Robinson
on Jan 7, 2009 at 5:00:07 pm

Check out the tutorials here by Aharon Rabinowitz on displacement mapping (miss his regular contributions already!),that will get you going, If you don't want to buy add'l software...

there's also a nice vid tutorial on Artbeats

http://www.artbeats.com/s3/assets/episodes/full/episode_003.mov

as well as a PDF from a number of years ago that gives some really good tips. I think to really get what you're hoping for you'll have to make a text comp, then do the displacement mapping to that comp, not a plain text layer.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Anton Volkov
on Jan 8, 2009 at 3:20:41 pm

ok

Return to posts index

Roy Messinger
on Jan 11, 2009 at 6:12:38 am

Ok, I used Bojou, and the tutorial of Andrew Kramer, and it turned out amazing!
Same as Heroes...!
Thanks alot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]