titles hide behind an object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jarrod Allen
titles hide behind an object
on Dec 2, 2008 at 6:55:19 am

can someone point me in the right direction in finding a tutorial on this idea:

idea:
i would like to put titles up on the screen but i want the person in the clip to be on top of the title (top meaning in a layer sense).

say the title is showing> when the character walks across the screen i would like the character himself to be seen over the title. like as if the title was painted behind him on a wall. but in my case the title is floating in mid air.

sorry to ask such a weird question but i seen it somewhere and would like to apply it to a job im working on.

thank you in advance.
jarrod

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: titles hide behind an object
on Dec 2, 2008 at 1:48:29 pm

If the clip of the actor and background has already been shot, you need to rotoscope the actor to separate him from the background. To rotoscope, you draw a mask around the actor and animate its shape over time to follow the changes in the actor's silhouette. Study the motion of the silhouette carefully to determine when to make keyframes of the mask shape, letting the software interpolate shape changes between those keys.

If the clip has not yet been shot, you could consider shooting it twice with a locked-off camera: once without the actor (background only), and once with the actor and a bluescreen on wheels behind him, following him as he goes. This would allow you to key out the actor, or most of him at least. If you do this, shoot a test first to work out any issues. Be aware of other people in the shot -- they cannot pass in front of the actor in this scenario, or you'd have to rotoscope them.

Return to posts index

jarrod Allen
Re: titles hide behind an object
on Dec 2, 2008 at 5:25:17 pm

Ok. I thought maybe it could be done differently. Looks like I gotta put the work in.
Thank you.
Jarrod.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]