ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3 Wise Men Star

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zeno Pierre
3 Wise Men Star
on Nov 25, 2008 at 9:22:16 am

Sorry to wake anybody up this late at night but I'm trying to beat my deadline for this xmas project and I plum ran out of steam.

Does anybody know of a tutorial that shows how to make a star glow in the sky like the one that relates to the Christmas star that leads the wise men to the manger?

I have AE, Zazwerks, Motion, Shake, PSD, and AI.

I can use some "bailout" right about now.

I'll sing at your wedding........

Thanks
Zee

Return to posts index

mike park
Re: 3 Wise Men Star
on Nov 25, 2008 at 2:23:40 pm

Do you mean twinkle brightly or point a beam to the manger like in some productions?

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:33:46 pm

Thanks for responding, Mike.

Yes I'm looking for a star that will point a beam to the manger like in some production.

Zee

Return to posts index

mike park
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:44:23 pm

I just threw something together to see if this is what you are looking for. Many stars are very stylized for these shots, while others are more realistic. Is this close to what you want?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=ylemdcmgaqz&thumb=4

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Nov 25, 2008 at 5:02:19 pm

Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking for. What's the procedure?

Return to posts index

mike park
on Nov 25, 2008 at 5:12:26 pm

Here is a tweaked version which I think looks better. It uses Trapcode Shine for the effect and Trapcode Particular for the starfield. Do you have either of those plugins. If not, there is another way to do it.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=tzgmjzmhhzj&thumb=4

Return to posts index

mike park
on Nov 25, 2008 at 5:25:20 pm

Because I like to be as helpful as possible, and because it would take a long time to explain step by step, here is a link to the project file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjrfmazyyzd

You can check out the comp for details, but here are the broad strokes.

I found a pic of bethlehem online...forgot where. It was a daytime pic, so I applied a toner and curves effect to swap day for night. In a new comp, I created a new layer and used the star shape creator to make a star shape. When dragging, use the up or down arrow key to change number of points. Adjust points to your liking.
Add the star source comp to a new comp and duplicate it 3 times. You will now make your glow. I applied cc vector blur, trapcode shine and glow to the layers respectively. Add this precomp to your main comp.
Next, position the star and make your beam layer. I used trapcode shine for this, but you can also use a solid white layer and use the pen tool to cut out your shape. Then feather the mask and change the transfer mode to add. If using shine, create a new layer and use the circle shape tool to make a small circle. This will be used by shine. Apply trapcode shine to this circle layer and play with the settings including boost light, ray length and position to get the look you want. PreComp this shine/circle layer to you can control where it stops on the ground. Mask of the precomp in your main comp to stop the shine where you want it.

Finally, I added a starry background with trapcode particular and used a masked layer as a luma matte to control the opacity. I also added another layer as a luma matte to create a gradient near the ground to give it some more pop. Feather out this layer to make it blend.

There you have it. I know it is a little confusing to follow, which is why I have provided the comp.

Best of luck

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Nov 25, 2008 at 7:49:50 pm

Hey Mike!

Thanks, I got it up and running. Was a little trick but the comp helped a lot. I hope you don't think I was being lazy, but I was burning the candle a both ends.

Thanks again.
Zee

P.S. I can't sing.

I'll dance, maybe??

Return to posts index

mike park
on Nov 25, 2008 at 8:07:04 pm

Zee,

I dont think you were being lazy. That is why we have this forum to help each other out in a pinch. I have learned so much from this site and am happy to help give back when I can. I hope it goes well for you.

Best of Luck.

PS, I am already married and dont require singing or dancing at present. However, if ever there is a good birthday party or something, I will keep you in mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]