ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

what is your Rig like?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lunden
what is your Rig like?
on Aug 19, 2008 at 8:41:19 pm

Hello,
I'm planning on building a rig to run After Effects on and was wondering what people prefer to use: Mac or PC. I mean in terms of cost per performance, compatibility, and longevity.

Yknow, how much ram do you think is overkill? what's a good video card for HD rendering, etc. Just curious as to what people use!
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
Re: what is your Rig like?
on Aug 20, 2008 at 6:48:00 am

Macs and PCs both bring benefits and weaknesses, hence the endless Mac/PC flame war that rages on.

For me, the bottom line is this:

1. Macs use much higher quality components (RAM etc.) than most if not all of the PC builders like Dell.

2. Macs hold their value much better than PCs. Go to eBay and compare prices on a 2-year old mac (versus it's own original retail price) versus a 2-year old Dell. The difference is stunning, and makes Macs a better investment.

3. All modern Macs are 64-bit, which means right out of the box you can add (and actually benefit from) as much RAM as you like. On the PC side, this requires a 64-bit version of Windows which has more limited software, hardware and driver support.

4. While it is fiercely debated, Macs are more reliable and less prone to viruses, random glitches, silly error messages etc. My studio used to be all PCs, but several years ago we switched to all Macs. I have seen the difference, and it's real. Macs aren't perfect by a long shot (what computer is?), but they are a LOT better than PCs with Windows when it comes to stability.

As you can probably guess, I favor Macs. For graphics workstations, I currently have 5 Mac Pros in my studio, all with 8GB RAM (6GB of which is third party RAM from Other World Computing to keep costs down), stock video card (not important in AE work), Blackmagic Decklink cards for connecting to broadcast monitors and that's about it. They are fast, reliable, easily networked, quiet and well supported via AppleCare.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Aug 20, 2008 at 9:24:15 pm

2 x 3 Gfz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB Ram

The previous poster did good with the pros and cons I think. Stick with Mac.

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Aug 21, 2008 at 3:08:57 am

I have to agree on the Mac tip. I've worked with both PC and Mac through the years and as far as stability goes, Mac wins hands down. I've never considered the resale/value retention aspect, but a simple ebay check will prove that.

My original rig was a Mac Dual Core 2.3 G5 with a Kona 3 and 5GB of RAM. I ran AE 6.5, 7.0 and CS3 on it with no problems. Some comps got bogged down, but it was a workhorse.

I've recently upgraded to an 8 core MacPro with 16 GB of RAM, same Kona 3 and a 512 GFX card. This machine screams. It renders at least 3x faster than my G5. IT's running Leopard and I bump all my comps up to 16bit now as my machine can handle the extra depth. Multiprocessor rendering will change your world.

Bottom line is get as much as you can afford. Mac isn't perfect, but to me it blows away Windows. I had trouble running basic programs with windows at times. But hey, you can't beat the price. Spend the savings on RAM, RAIDS and tech support.

Good luck!

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

Ben Lunden
on Aug 21, 2008 at 9:28:01 pm

awesome, thanks for all the input guys. To tell the truth, I'm actually surprised that PCs devalue faster. Anywho, the new macpro looks pretty killer. Let's see if I can foot the bill.

Return to posts index

Tony Segreto
on Aug 22, 2008 at 7:47:23 pm

Hey, well, I feel like you need a bit from the other side =) I run a windows xp machine with AECS3, dual core 2.4ghz and 4gb ram. (windows only uses 3.2) And I have never had any problems. Everything runs smooth, and if I add some more processors along with Windows xp 64 bit so I can have more ram, the machine would be smoking fast. I think with Mac vs. PC it all comes down to preference. What system are you more accustomed to? I never have problems with Windows and I know where everything is and how to figure something out. Macs, not so much. But hey, PCs are cheaper than macs, as well as cheaper to upgrade, if perhaps that is an issue.

GL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]