ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Realtime keyframing?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Swain
Realtime keyframing?
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:46:12 am

Is it possible to play the animation, and add keyframes to the timeline without everything coming a halt? I'm basically trying to sync video effects with audio hits, manually.

Thanks for any/all replies! :)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Realtime keyframing?
on Jun 30, 2008 at 5:03:30 am

There is a tool called 'Motion Sketch' that will allow you to move a layer in realtime and create keyframes. If you want to apply that to rotation or scale then I think you need to come up with another way to do that, such as motion sketching a null object and linking it's Y position to the layer's scale or rotation via expression.

Motion Sketch should be accessible under Window > Motion Sketch. Check the manual for more information (F1).

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

Matthew Helms
on Jun 30, 2008 at 6:43:51 am

Nice to see some fellow designers in the area. I live in Scotts Valley and dont meet very many people here. Nice to meet you.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Jun 30, 2008 at 12:59:42 pm

You can time-out the beats in realtime by selecting a layer, doing a RAM preview, and tapping the asterisk key on the numeric keypad to the beat. When you stop the preview there will be markers on the layer where you tapped.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator
Nowhere Productions, Athens, GA

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:39:36 pm

If you don't want to wait for a full RAM preview then you can use an audio preview (numpad .) to preview just the audio and tap out the markers.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:38:43 pm

[Joey Foreman, 10 years ago in 2008] "You can time-out the beats in realtime by selecting a layer, doing a RAM preview, and tapping the asterisk key on the numeric keypad to the beat. When you stop the preview there will be markers on the layer where you tapped."

is this still possible ? I'm trying to be able to add markers (or keyframes) during AE playback...

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 13, 2018 at 12:31:45 am

yes, you should be able to add markers as you play through the timeline by hitting the asterisk key on the numbers pad.

if you have a layer selected, it will add markers to the layer, if you don't have a layer selected, it will be added to the comp timeline.

if you are using a keyboard without the numbers pad (like a laptop, etc) you may need to look that up....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Jan 13, 2018 at 1:18:40 am

[Kevin Camp] "if you are using a keyboard without the numbers pad (like a laptop, etc) you may need to look that up...."

I am using a laptop (with no dedicated num keypad), and using the key combination for asterisk (shift 8) creates a marker, but it creates all markers (stacked on top of each other) at the point from which playback started (where the actual Current Time Indicator is when playback starts rather than the red bar that moves) and not at the frame that is playing back at the time of hitting the keyboard key... I've fiddled with playback options and all of them seem to work this way so far...

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:41:40 pm

You can also convert the audio to keyframes (Animation>Keyframe Assistant>Convert Audio to Keyframes); then use Expressions to sync animation parameters to those keyframes (just do a Google search on AE animating to keyframes).

Hope this helps,

kurt murphy

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jun 30, 2008 at 7:23:02 pm

You can double type "L" to make the waveform visible on the layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]