ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate a mask's position w/o moving the layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Phillippi
Animate a mask's position w/o moving the layer
on May 14, 2008 at 2:00:51 am

Does anyone know how you can animate a mask's position on a layer without actually moving the layer itself?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jeremy Allen
Re: Animate a mask's position w/o moving the layer
on May 14, 2008 at 4:34:21 am

[Joey Foreman] "For a stumper like that you should post in AE Basics, or you could take a peek in the manual."

While I agree that it's a basic question and I'm pretty sure I just saw this same question within the last few days, I still think it deserves a proper answer. The search engine on this site is practically useless because you end up wasting time reading tons of dead-end answers like yours.

To answer the question, you can't move a layer independently of the mask. You have to create a "track matte", which basically means using the shape of a layer as the mask for the layer below it.

Create a new solid layer and make a mask like you normally would. Place this solid layer above the layer you want to mask.

Go to the layer you want to mask and select one of the options under "TrkMat". I won't go into the details of each track matte option, as I think you'll quickly figure it out when switching between options.

Hope this helps..

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.2
DualCore G5 2.0 GHZ, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.4.11

AE7 on both for now.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on May 14, 2008 at 4:54:03 am

Jeremy, you went way beyond what the poster was asking. He was asking how to move a mask on a layer.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator
Nowhere Productions, Athens, GA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on May 14, 2008 at 3:28:16 pm

[Joey Foreman] "Jeremy, you went way beyond what the poster was asking. He was asking how to move a mask on a layer."

Sorry, it was late and I misread the post. I thought he was trying to move the layer without moving the mask.

And yet, still no real answer from you. The way I see it, you're either trying to help, or you are wasting space and people's time. At least I tried.

AE7 on both for now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on May 14, 2008 at 3:38:08 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "Wow, Jeremy, I find things all the time that I am looking for. I use the search engine and while it is far from the best one I've ever seen, I rarely walk away stumped for an answer when I am looking for one...."

Ron, I'm really surprised by your response. I wasn't attacking your precious search engine. It was more a comment about having to wade through a bunch of useless, snide remarks, of which I've seen many here. As a proponent of "More Signal, Less Noise", I thought you would agree.

In my opinion, when someone takes the time to reply, but doesn't actually try to answer the question, it just creates more noise.

Yes, people post in the wrong forums. Can we ever stop that? No. What we can do is at least try to answer the question so when people actually do use the search engine, they might find an answer more quickly. Just trying to do my part to improve the signal.

AE7 on both for now.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 14, 2008 at 4:03:09 pm

[Jeremy Allen] "It was more a comment about having to wade through a bunch of useless, snide remarks, of which I've seen many here. As a proponent of "More Signal, Less Noise", I thought you would agree."

Hi Jeremy,

I just did a test of a search on a topic and came up with a bunch of answers. It took a while to find a snide remark. Sure they exist but it's not like it is the bulk of what is the COW. If it were, the traffic would die and people would quit coming.

I have also seen the same question get asked with the subject answered not one or two threads below the new inquiry. That too is noise and telling people that the search engine is useless and that they shouldn't bother is more noise -- in my opinion.

That was why I took issue with your statement, although I do agree with the principle of most of what you said.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on May 14, 2008 at 4:31:57 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "I have also seen the same question get asked with the subject answered not one or two threads below the new inquiry. That too is noise..."

I agree, and that annoys me too. But you know what? That new thread is gonna come up in the search engine just the same. And at the very least, we could post a link to where that question has been answered, instead of just saying it has already been answered. Otherwise, people will read a search result that gets them no closer to the answer. My main point is that you should either genuinely answer a question or not respond at all.

[Ron Lindeboom] telling people that the search engine is useless and that they shouldn't bother is more noise -- in my opinion."

I never told anyone not to bother with the search engine. What I'm trying to say is the usefulness of the search engine relies entirely on the relevance of the answers. The more responses that don't answer a question, the less useful it becomes. In an effort to adhere to that philosophy, I will politely step out of this conversation now. Sorry if I offended you, or the search engine.

AE7 on both for now.

Return to posts index

Deepak Vijayan
on Mar 3, 2014 at 7:40:03 am

U rock. I support you. I signed up just to like your comment. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Bianca morm
on Oct 29, 2009 at 8:45:17 pm

This worked perfect for me. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Preston Parish
Animate a layer's position w/o moving the mask
on Oct 8, 2010 at 4:10:23 pm

FWIW, this thread lead me to the EXACT solution I was looking for -- thanks to Jeremy Allen! I googled "how to stop a mask from moving with layer", and this was the first hit.

Thanks for saving me some time!

Return to posts index

Jose Alfaro
on Jan 14, 2013 at 5:43:39 pm

It is an old post but is it still helping. Indeed it helped me. Thanks Jeremy.

Return to posts index

Leonard van Rhijn
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:46:56 am

5 years later.
Found for post.
For me it was very usefull, a great help.
Thanks.
Leonard

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:00:58 am

A quick thanks for your answer.

I agree that sarcasm is a totally unhelpful way to respond to people's requests - Joey seems to forget that anything is voodoo until you know how to do it, whether it be using a track matte or extending a scene for a feature film. Showing disdain and mocking other users skill levels is for me not a good look. To berate you for answering in more detail than maybe was needed is also daft - there is no problem in offering more help than was requested, where I come from we call that excellent service!

Too much time on his hands I guess.

Thanks for your answer - much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mike Clasby
on May 14, 2008 at 6:09:24 am

Trevor,

Set a mask shape keyframe (M reveals), then down the timeline, double click the mask and move it, setting a new keyframe. This just moves the mask without moving the layer.

You can also actually change the shape by moving individual vertices.

Return to posts index

Trevor Phillippi
on May 14, 2008 at 11:18:27 am

Thanks Jeremy and Mike, it was a big help. I appreciate an actual answer since I scoured the Manual and Help Viewer for info on this, and I am pretty much just starting out with AE. And I did search for it, but it was coming up with stuff about animating mask opacity and such. Thanks again!

Trevor

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on May 14, 2008 at 4:51:26 pm

See guys, that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :-)

Just answer the darn questions and everyone's happy.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on May 14, 2008 at 5:10:40 pm

Oh well. So much for having three different AE Forums.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator
Nowhere Productions, Athens, GA

Return to posts index

Ty Wood
on May 21, 2009 at 1:28:18 am

I was actually looking for how to move a layer independent of the mask (actually, animate a mask independent of it's layers movement, because both of these needed separately animated).

The track matte worked great, it was super easy and pretty simple to do.

Thanks Jeremy for answering! Another AE trick learned! I'm glad the thread wasn't a dead end 'post somewhere else' or 'look at the manual'.

t.w.

Return to posts index

Jacob Nazarenko
on Nov 24, 2012 at 6:41:20 pm

Speaking of masks and moving them, IS THERE ANY ALTERNATIVE TO A "POSITIONS" SECTION FOR A MASK? I have a video clip where two invisible walls slide onto and off of some text as the background video passes over a certain area. I have motion captured the location of the walls successfully and have applied the data to two "transparent" shapes (opacity set to 0%), but have recently learned that the only way to hide the text with a transparent cover is masks and their "subtract" option (right?). Unfortunately, a certain layer can only be affected by its own masks, so I was wondering if there was some way I could apply the motion capture data (or keyframed positions) of the shape layers to a mask that belongs to the text layer in order to make it slide onto the text, wiping it off at a certain moment. Is there any way I can do this or achieve my general goal?

Thanks,
Jacob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]