ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Polaroid SX70 effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karel Bata
Polaroid SX70 effect?
on May 6, 2008 at 10:39:59 am

I've been trawling the net to find a way of getting the polaroid SX70 'look' and there's plenty of stuff out there for faking a polaroid frame, or advice like: * Over expose the image * play with the colour balance to give an orange cast * add gradients to darken areas * gaussian blur *etc. The authors clearly don't understand the fundamental differences. Not that I really really do or I wouldn't be asking here. I'm surprised that no-one's marketed a plug-in - they'd make a killing.

Anyhows, anyone here in this august forum got a clue?

Here's a few typical polaroids:

http://www.jerkwithacamera.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/polaroid-1.jpg

http://polafiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/ukiah.jpg

http://polafiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/jacobanne.jpg

BTW Polaroid used to make instant cine film - Polavision

I can remember a kit being available for hire to commercials shoots as an alternative to video assist in the Sammy's catalogue. That was way back when...

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: Polaroid SX70 effect?
on May 6, 2008 at 1:27:13 pm

Heve you heard of Magic Bullet? Check it out:

http://redgiantsoftware.com/magicbulletlooks.html

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator
Nowhere Productions, Athens, GA

Return to posts index

Karel Bata
on May 6, 2008 at 2:18:34 pm

To my knowledge Magic Bullet has no Polaroid preset.

But would you say that MB has another that would do the job? I've never seen any moving image that comes close to replicating the dream-like magic of a polaroid. But it would be great to get it in AE somehow.

Part of it has to be the optics of a Polaroid camera lens coupled with the relatively huge format of an SX70 film, but most of it is, I believe, down to Polaroid's own chemistry which doesn't work in the same way as a film emulsion's.

Return to posts index

Brian Walsh
on May 6, 2008 at 7:54:16 pm

Gradient, blur, grain/noise, blow out whites and boost cyan levels. There really is no mystery involved in this.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Toth
on May 6, 2008 at 8:18:17 pm

THE MYSTERY IS THAT YOU MUST CHEAT!!!!
CHEAT! CHEAT! CHEAT!

(ok sorry, I got a little carried away)

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 7, 2008 at 5:34:30 am

of course it's a cheat... you're trying to make video look like film rather than spending the money to shoot film. that's cheating, right?

i don't think there is a 'real' way to make pixels behave like emulsion...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brian Berneker
on May 9, 2008 at 11:46:49 pm

You have to realize that "a bit of color grading" isn't diminishing the task whatsoever. It's probably the most accurate and robust technique to get the results you want. You already have the reference shots, so you should know what you're looking for. Time spent learning or working on color grading is never time wasted.

AE's tools with a bit of patience and a mindful eye can get you far closer to a perfect match than any canned software off the shelf ever will. Even if it mathematically calculated a perfect conversion, a preset or plugin would probably start from the assumption that your footage is properly color corrected to begin with... so you're back to grading again.

AE is a hands-on tool. Don't be shy to use it as one. Why not be the first one to make a preset to match this particular polaroid and post it here on the Cow for everyone to appreciate?

Honestly, I think the only way anyone will find a preset for that particular grade of film on the internet is if someone (such as yourself, with a passion for the integrity of said preset) were to post it.

Return to posts index

Christofer Nilsson
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:35:08 pm

I know this thread is pretty old and all, but I'd like to share my recepie on how to get a nice polaroid-feel to your videos and/or photos. Nevermind the haters with all their "why would you want to ruin your good video"-talk. It's all about communicating an attitude and if you need to "ruin" your shots by doing it, so be it. I freakin' love it and so does many of the viewers.

Anyway, this is what I do:
1. Add the M31 Log LUT from VisionColor OSIRIS. Increadably cheap LUT plug-in with amazing results.
2. Add a light beige solid with the "darken" blend mode at 100% opacity.
3. Add a dark red/brown solid with the "lighten" blend mode at about 15% opacity.
4. Do a little chromatic aberration of about 1px in each direction for the red and green channel.
5. Add an adjustment layer with gaussian blur at about 1%.
6. Add an adjustment layer with noise (gaussian and not monochromatic).
7. Enjoy :)

I think this gives a cool look. As you probably suspect, you'll have to experiment a bit for this to fit your own images and your own feel, but I think this is a good starting point.

Good luck!

Kindest regards,
Christofer
Mohave Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]