ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating outlines

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam forbes
creating outlines
on Mar 5, 2008 at 11:25:30 pm

When I create a text layer, and then I click It creates a shape layer instead of a mask layer. In Aharon's tutorials it always creates a mask layer, I specifically want a mask layer so I can use the scribble effect.

Any solutions?

Return to posts index

Jack Watts
Re: creating outlines
on Mar 6, 2008 at 1:53:29 am

I dont mean to insult in any way but make sure you have "selected" your text layer. If you dont then After effect will automatically assume that you want to create a new shape layer and fill it with the default colour in my case red. Look at that tutorial again carefully and you will see that the text layer is highlighted. I recommend that if you are following along with tutorials dont just confine your eyes to the mouse pointer but try to absorb the entire UI as a whole ie layers,settings,Tools etc. I for example always overlook the simple things in my comp and then am left kicking myself hours later when i out figure out what my mistakes were!

Return to posts index

adam Forbes
on Mar 6, 2008 at 2:22:08 am

Yes i've made sure it's selected, if it wasn't selected then it wouldn't give me the option to create outlines,

any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Frank Feijen
on Mar 6, 2008 at 9:33:56 am

I'm with you Adam.
Since CS3 the behaviour of creating outlines has changed.
In previous versions, you would get a solid layer with masks, now you get a shape layer.

I also hope that somebody knows the answer/trick/setting, cause right now i have to autotrace my textlayers to get the desired effect (and autotracing does give a somewhat different result).

Return to posts index

Jason Milligan
on Mar 7, 2008 at 1:11:15 am

I found this on the Adobe website:

"The Create Outlines menu command in versions of After Effects previous to After Effects CS3 created masks on a solid layer instead of creating shapes. To achieve the same result in After Effects CS3, you can run a script to convert the shapes created by the Create Outlines command to masks on a solid layer. The script is available on Jeff Almasol’s website: http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_jeffshapestomasks."

Return to posts index

Jason Milligan
on Mar 7, 2008 at 1:12:45 am

working link:

http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_jeffshapestomasks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]