ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I apply a stop motion effect to video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Luckhurst
Can I apply a stop motion effect to video?
on Feb 5, 2008 at 6:04:17 pm

I am going to start filming a video in about a month and trying to wrap my head around taking the video we film and give it a choppy look like stop motion. I work primarily in After Effects, but am open to suggestions on programs. I've tried chopping it up manually and adjusting the time effects, but nothing seems to give me the right effect.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Here is a video with a similar look to would like to create:
LFS. Freelancers Union. click here

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Can I apply a stop motion effect to video?
on Feb 5, 2008 at 6:31:44 pm

You might also want to shoot with a fast shutter speed (if possible) to avoid motion blur ... since stop motion doesn't show any motion blur.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Feb 5, 2008 at 7:28:11 pm

Most edit programs (maybe Premiere) have an effect called
Strobe Motion or Step Freeze. You could apply the affect to your video clips then export into AE for any additional work (sorry, I use Avid DS not Premiere so this is just a helpfull hint).

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Feb 5, 2008 at 8:50:17 pm

How about conforming the frame rate of your composition right down? Select the timeline panel and hit cntl+k, then set the frame rate down to something like 15 or 10 - whatever looks good.

Return to posts index

Matt Luckhurst
on Feb 5, 2008 at 9:06:06 pm

is there a way to export that though. i know I can turn it down on the screen... which isn't quite the look, but close. the problem being exporting it in that frame rate. any thoughts?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Feb 5, 2008 at 9:22:13 pm

ok, hit cntl+k again to get the comp settings dialogue up, then hit the advanced tab. Check the box that reads "preserve frame rate when nested or in render queue". That should do it.

Simon

Return to posts index

david bogie
Repeating: Shutter speed
on Feb 5, 2008 at 9:44:11 pm

Best advice so far: Shoot at a fast shutter speed. Stop action animation is a series of stills without motion blur caused by movement during an open shutter.

Everything else can be tweaked in post but if you don't shoot it properly, you'll never be happy with the results. You don't mean you're going to shoot the WHOLE THING like this, do you?

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Matt Luckhurst
Re: Repeating: Shutter speed
on Feb 5, 2008 at 11:05:33 pm

haha. yeah... it'll only be about three minutes, but I'm trying to get around making the shooting of it too difficult. I was hoping there my be simpler solution, but I'm going to do some tests with this advice and see what happens.

thanks for the heads up.

Return to posts index

Richie Morgan
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:18:33 am

I believe Simon hit the nail on the head here. Of course everything is relative, but check out Aharon's Video to Cartoon Podcast. The last step he takes creates that kinda stop motion jumpy effect I think you've described. Toward the end of part 3 (which I've linked to) he does exactly what Simon says.

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Feb 6, 2008 at 11:09:58 am

It's no coincidence I rewatched that podcast recently to remind myself of some techniques!

I've been thinking that another thing that could be done - to create a 'bad' stop motion effect - is messing with the exposure for a frame or two every few seconds, or shifting the position of the footage by a few frames occasionally to give the impression that the camera has been budged out of place. Don't know whether you're going for this kind of look, but it could help to sell the effect.

Return to posts index

Matt Luckhurst
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:19:20 pm

yeah I saw that effect somewhere else on here, and I'll definitely play around with it and see what comes of it. It does seem to make it look more convincing.
thanks.

Return to posts index

Matt Luckhurst
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:33:55 pm

thanks for the link. that vid makes its easy, i've just got to fine tune it.

Return to posts index

Emilie Stadlin
on Apr 15, 2012 at 6:03:58 pm

Hi! I have exactly the same problem: i want to apply stop motion effect to a video, do you have any recomendation?

Return to posts index

Christian Lopetz
on Jun 2, 2015 at 5:33:11 pm

In Premiere I speed my footage to 200% and then use the posterize time effect at about 1/4 of my frame rate (ie, if the original footage was shot at 24fps, posterize the time to 6fps AFTER you increase the speed to 200%) This usually gives it a nice choppy "stop-motion" look for me. It also helps if you know you're going to do this in advance, and you can shoot things a little slower than you would regularly. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Adrian Stiegler
on Nov 28, 2019 at 2:55:46 pm

BUMP!

This is totally the answer. Effect -> Time -> Posterize Time

Dial in your target FPS, BOOM!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]