ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 1440 x 1080 image buffer.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuel Rodrigues
After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 1440 x 1080 image buffer.
on Jan 9, 2008 at 12:17:16 pm

HI,

Im getting a little bit sick and tired of the following message:

After Effects error: Unable to allocate space for a
1440 x 1080 image buffer.
You may be expirencing fragmentation. In the
Memory and cache Preference dialog box, try
decreasing the maximum RAM cache size value
and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option,
increasing Maximum Memory Usage, or both.

I did fiddle around with the variables mentioned above for a few month's now and this did not give any satisfying results.

Can anybody give me (and my three colleagues who have the same problem) the golden tip?

Our configuration is the following:
Mac pro quad core 2,6
8 gb ram

As you can see the hardware should be fast enough!

We are working with the folliwing software:
Adobe cs3 production suite
AE 8

Kind regards,

Manuel Rodrigues

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
peter van der zee
Re: After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 1440 x 1080 image buffer.
on Jan 9, 2008 at 2:47:42 pm

Try edit-purge-all once in a while

vanderzee.tv

Return to posts index

Manuel Rodrigues
Re: After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 1440 x 1080 image buffer.
on Jan 9, 2008 at 3:38:52 pm

Jep,

I Know that works during the working progres but the same error occours while im rendering a full movie. Its very frustrating to see that your render has canceled itself after 5 minutes while you expected it to work on it the whole night... And it seems to occour more frequently whilst im working on the same project for a few hours. Then I log out to clean all the memory and things seem fine for a while... But they are not!

groet,

Manuel Rodrigues

Return to posts index

cow
Kevin Camp
on Jan 9, 2008 at 3:57:00 pm

there is also the secret preference...

hold the shift key when selecting preferences in ae, select any preference, like general, to bring up the pref window. then click the preference pulldown and at the bottom there should be one called secret.

select that one, and you can enter a setting to force ae to purge frames at regular intervals... if your render is crashing after, say 60 frames, set the purge for every 50 frames. this will usually slow a render down a little bit, but it may allow the render to finish rendering.

also, what are your memory and cache settings... you have enough ram for your 4 cores that the defaults should work pretty well.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Manuel Rodrigues
on Jan 9, 2008 at 9:54:11 pm

This is a workaround. But thank you for the insight :-) As is is quite cool :-)

I must refer to my first my message:

AE says this once every 15 minutes and f*** up my renders.

After Effects error: Unable to allocate space for a
1440 x 1080 image buffer.
You may be expirencing fragmentation. In the
Memory and cache Preference dialog box, try
decreasing the maximum RAM cache size value
and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option,
increasing Maximum Memory Usage, or both.

What do I do to fix this?

Please! Help me!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 9, 2008 at 10:53:27 pm

well the first thing i would do is set the memory and cache settings back to the defaults (max memory: 120%, max cache: 60%), and maybe enable the disk cache for the default setting (2000mb).

if you have multiprocessing enabled, this should allow all 4 cores (ae says '3 additional cores'). each core will have 1.5gb of ram to work with. this should allow 2gb of ram for image buffer and any system operations, in addition to the 2000mb of disk cache (if you enabled it). purge all, then render.

if you still have problems, decrease the ram cache to, maybe, 33%. this will give you 1gb per core and free up 4gb for image buffer. purge all then render.

if you still have problems, i would shut down for a few minutes, then reboot and see if you still have issues, some times computers just need a little rest to clear things out.

you may find that for some comps to render you'll have to use the secret pref to regularly purge frames.

other things you can try, would be to run the disk utility (applications>utilities>disk utility) repair permissions on the startup drive and verify it too. if it needs repair, you'll need to boot from the osx install dvd and runn the disk utility from there.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Multipasser
on Jan 10, 2008 at 10:36:58 am

This is the most ennoying thing in AE. I still do not understand why Adobe hasnt fixed this! Grrrr.

Are you using MotionTile effect on an image? sometimes it makes an image to big internally and crashes. It helps to reduce it or maybe Render out the motiontile effect to an image.

Return to posts index

Mandeep Singh
After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 6500 x 6500 image buffer.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:04:28 pm

check your image or solid layer size ....sometimes it makes an image to big internally and crashes.....its true...

for solid layer press (Ctrl +shift+y)and check your layer size

Return to posts index

quirk
on Sep 16, 2011 at 7:53:20 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for this, and wow. I've been using AE for around 4 years now and never discovered this. Thanks a ton.

Why is it secret?! So weird. Seems like it would be in Memory.

Return to posts index

himanshu sharma
on Feb 16, 2012 at 7:16:36 pm

can anybody help me out for this problem i cannot get the solution of it.

Return to posts index

Lara Haddad
on Nov 12, 2011 at 4:13:16 pm

Big Thanks Kevin :)

Return to posts index

Nicole Brors
on Aug 24, 2010 at 5:53:23 pm

Thank you so much! I was having this error on my brand new iMac (with 16 gB ram). Once I set it to purge it fixed the problem. I have been trying to render these files for days. Seriously, I can't thank you enough, you are a lifesaver!!!

Creative Cow is such a great resource!

Return to posts index

Rob Womack
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:29:16 pm

Try rendering in the background, if you're not already (http://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/). Also, a boost in RAM will be very beneficial. I believe the error comes from not having enough memory, so it might be other apps are running? Or you don't have enough RAM to render out your project.

Robert Womack
Creative Bridgekeep
http://www.CurrentMarketing.com
"Louisville's Leading Interactive Marketing Agency"

Return to posts index

Laura Hewett
on Oct 15, 2008 at 5:11:23 pm

I know this reply is probably a tad late, but for anyone else having this problem:

Try changing the output destination for your render.

I was having the same error message popping up when trying to render something to the same hard drive the project was saved to. So I tried saving it to the Desktop instead and it worked fine.

I assume this is down to my hard drive, but it isn't causing me any other problems at the moment so I simply keep a folder on the Desktop called Renders and keep making sure everything is backed up as it should be!

Return to posts index

Dave Stalion
on Apr 30, 2009 at 1:55:42 pm

I was having the same problem as described until I changed the destination drive and whalla!
It worked!
Thank you so much. You saved me hours of headache.
Creative Cow ROCKS!
Dave

Dave Stalion
Agricultural Communications
University of Kentucky

Return to posts index

Carmen King
on Jul 1, 2009 at 9:46:04 am

I struggled with this and tried all the tips above.

Eventually my boss came with a fresh pair of eyes. All we did was see at what point this error came up, deleted the layers that started there (in my case it was quite easy only text), recreated the text, and voila. It works.

hope this helps someone

Return to posts index

Ryan Lelcka
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:28:36 am

I spent about six hours trying to figure on this same problem. Absolutely nothing worked. Then I realized I had a layer with a huge dimension - like 10,000 x 8,000 (I am working in 3d and I didn't want the edge of the layer to trail off in the frame). I made that layer smaller and it fixed the problem.

Return to posts index

Grayson Markle
on Oct 14, 2009 at 5:59:25 pm

Brian,
How much smaller did you have to make your layer? My layer is 5040 x 3024 and I need it at least close to that size (I roam across it close up through out my project). Thanks for your post I now at least understand where the problem is. Any advice would be fantastic.

-Grayson Markle

Return to posts index

Ted Wiggin
on Apr 22, 2010 at 6:12:40 am

I've been really struggling with fragmentation on my current project. My issue is along the same lines. Huge multilayer background that I need to pan across
Current the background sits in a 10,000 by 3600 pixel composition and it's just barely renderable. I can render if I have to secret "purge after every frame" setting enabled and not too many layers visible.

I understand that the maximum image cache per frame is 2 gb. The machine I'm using has 12 gb ram (in six 2gb modules)

My question is- would it make rendering smoother if I instead used three 4gb modules.

the theory behind it is that the 2gb image cache doesn't seem to be able to span two ram modules. the error message pops up long before I fill up the whole 12gb. perhaps the first few layers of the image fill a portion of the first module, then the next layer tries to piggy back on whats left of that same module, fails, and gives me an error message?

Can anyone corroborate this? might I be able to render more layers per frame by upgrading to 3x 4gb or even 2x 8gb modules?

it kills me to have to deal with this with 64 bit CS5 just around the corner

Return to posts index

Paul Wood
on Jan 2, 2011 at 8:43:22 pm

Had the exact same problem; Trying to use the camera orbit tool on a 3d composition. enabled disk cache but output folder defaults to adobe folders, changed this so that it was my desktop and now renders fine.

thanks

Return to posts index

constanti dinu
on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:43:46 am

i'm working on a 21000x21000 jpg map whit a cc sphere over. it's a world map that spins and zooms. i have quad core with 4 gb ram. haven't found a solution yet. any ideas? i cant decrease the size of the jpg.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]