ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilize helishot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pontus D
Stabilize helishot
on Dec 17, 2007 at 2:29:32 pm

Hi!

I have a footage sequence shot from a helicopter. The problem is that it's very very shaky. I have tried to stabilize it with som assistance from Andrew Kramer's tutorial on video co-pilot.net.

However, I can't say that I succeeded. Does anyone have any idea how to make this clip smooth? Is it possible at all?

Here is the original file: http://www.filmhouse.se/movie/helikopter1_2.mov

and the file when I have tried to stabilize:
http://www.filmhouse.se/movie/helikopter1_1.mov

Thanks!

/Pontus

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Stabilize helishot
on Dec 17, 2007 at 2:49:54 pm

try picking points on the horizon to track. you will also need to track for rotation to level out the horizon. try to pick points that are reasonably far appart, but stay within the frame for the duration that you need to track.

once you stablilize the shot, you will need to re-introduce smooth horizontal movement of the camera as it passes over the land.

Kevin Camp
Designer - KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 17, 2007 at 3:25:14 pm

i took a stab at it, and in a few minutes found two decent points just below the horizon. i tracked position and rotation and got ok results and applied directly to the footage.

then just scaled the footage up about 5%, added motion tile to expand the footage a bit (mirror edges checked) and parented to a null.

i rotated the null slightly to level out the horizon and then keyframed the null position to bring the pan back into the shot.

you can try to enabling frame blending (frame mix) for the footage to help smooth some of the jumpy pixels a bit... it will have a more dramatic effect if the original footage is interlaced (it looks progressive, but it is hard to tell once it is scaled).

Kevin Camp
Designer - KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Pontus D
on Dec 18, 2007 at 7:38:36 am

Thank you very much! Great result!

/Pontus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]