ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

unwanted motion blur when cutting betweeen active cameras

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kero visuals
unwanted motion blur when cutting betweeen active cameras
on Nov 12, 2007 at 3:36:20 pm

I have a scene I am constructing that has lots of quick cuts. I have several seperate cameras in the scene which are each trimmed to the length of a shot and sit flush to each other on the timeline. the background is using CC environment and has motion blur switched on. I am finding that at the out point of each camera layer, the background suddenly gains lots of unwanted motion blur, as if it is tweening between the current active camera and the next active camera. If I move the next camera layer along so that there is a 1 frame gap between them on the timeline, then the motion blur disappears. Its as if the background is applying the motion blur of moving in space between the 2 cameras, despite them being seperate layers and sharing no common links. I would like to render the whole scene out in one go, rather thean as each seperate cut, but the only way I can get rid of this motion blur is to put a 1 frame gap between each camera. I cant work out if this a problem with CC environment or something else. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

moldyboot
Re: unwanted motion blur when cutting betweeen active cameras
on Nov 12, 2007 at 4:27:39 pm

i'm not familiar with the effect cc environment, but if you can key frame the motion blur setting or blur samples, you may be able to use hold keyframes to turn the blur off as the camera switches...

you may also be able to create several precomps, one for each camera. then sequence the precomps in a new comp, i would think that would eliminate the problem.

if it didn't, at least then you'd be ready to prerender the nested comps with import and replace usage, and you final sequence would be ready to go.

Kevin Camp
Designer - KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

kero visuals
on Nov 12, 2007 at 9:13:29 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Im not sure how I can keyframe switching the motion blur off and on - as far as Im aware there is just the switch for a layer and the global switch for the whole comp - CC environment has no setting just for itself.
as for pre-comping each clip, i had thought about this. Without boring you with explanations, this would basically be a hideously long-winded process due to some of the interaction between layers that i have going on.

Return to posts index

moldyboot
on Nov 12, 2007 at 9:45:20 pm

yeah, there's no way to toggle ae's motion blur on/off with keyframes or expressions... i thought cc environment might have had the motion blur setting that was causing problems.

maybe try turning ae motion blur off. place comp markers in the timeline for each camera change. pull that comp into a new comp (the markers should be visible as layer markers in the new comp). add cc force motion blur in the new comp, and try hold keyframes for motion blur samples to toggle force motion blur on/off at each marker/camera change....

Kevin Camp

Return to posts index

sam.mltn
on Nov 13, 2007 at 3:59:16 am

sounds to me like you're trying to make your final cut as a rendered file from After Effects.

If it were my project I'd make handles (extra frames) on each camera move, render out separate clips, and then edit in a NLE. You'll find it goes faster and gives you a bunch more options if you work this way. Please don't take offense but the way your working screams inexperienced film maker.

Return to posts index

kero visuals
on Nov 13, 2007 at 9:40:34 am

Hi Sam
Im not trying to use AE to edit the sequence - I am compositing a scene that has already been edited by our offline editor. The catch is that it's a fight scene, so it has lots and lots of cuts (there are nearly 100 shots in a 2 minute sequene). My usual workflow of compositing and rendering each shot seperately to reassemble in FCP gets bogged down in this situation. Also, I need to see the flow of each shot running back to back, as the look is quite stylized and it is important check the consistency of motion.
There are more practical problems of pre-composing each shot, as I have layers parented to null objects in order to provide consistent camera shake between all layers. If I break up the parenting by pre-composing, I lose the ability to tweak this without it getting very complex.
I think I may try what Kevin suggsted with the "force motion blur" filter- Ive not used it before so wasnt sure how it worked.

Return to posts index

moldyboot
on Nov 13, 2007 at 3:35:13 pm

[kero visuals] "There are more practical problems of pre-composing each shot, as I have layers parented to null objects in order to provide consistent camera shake between all layers. If I break up the parenting by pre-composing, I lose the ability to tweak this without it getting very complex."

actually, you can link parameters from layers in one comp to layers in another comp... i don't think you can parent, but you could use and expression to link any layer property (like rotation, postition, etc) of several comp cameras in separate comps to a single null in one comp.

it might help, if the force motion blur doesn't...

Kevin Camp

Return to posts index

sam.mltn
on Nov 13, 2007 at 5:47:42 pm

OK, I read a little about CC environment at creative mac.

http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=28976

It looks like it's a time filter just the same as cc force motion blur but more powerful and tied to the camera movement instead of the pixel movement.

That said, the only possible solution I can visualize is to double the frame rate if you're working with field separated interlaced footage, then use only one camera with hold keyframes between the angles. This may remove the inter frame blurring that this plug-in is designed to create when there's a huge difference in the camera position.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]