ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wondering how this is done......

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gent Ng
Wondering how this is done......
on Nov 2, 2007 at 3:19:17 am

Hi there,

I am very interested in how this news program from Canada did their news open, lower thirds (basically the whole visual effects stuff)? I am particularly interested in how they animated and transitioned their lower thirds (including the rotating hued earth). Just for the food for my brain. ;). See video below, and please ignore the Ford 30 second ad in the front. LOL. Thanks!

Return to posts index

park_mike
Re: Wondering how this is done......
on Nov 2, 2007 at 3:41:59 pm

There are so many ways to do this effect. I don't know how the news station did theirs. I will walk you through on way to accomplish this effect using only standard afx tools.

1. Open a new comp in whatever size you want your final product. Name it main or something.
2. Create another new comp and make it 1/12 or so the height of your main comp. Name this tagline. The tagline comp will house the gradient background for the text and the red stripe.
3. Create another two new comps the same size as tagline and nest them into tagline. You will see why in a moment.
4. Call one Gradient ramp and the other red stripe.
5. In the gradient ramp comp, create a new solid layer - color doesnt matter, and make it comp size. Then add a gradient ramp effect from white to black and make it diagonal.
6. In the redstripe comp, make 2 new solid layers, one black and one red. change the opacity of the black layer to about 30%. Mask the red layer and move the top 2 mask corner pins to turn the layer into a stripe at the bottom.
7. Back in the tagline comp, there should be the two nested comps - redstripe (hooray beer) and gradient ramp. Now, you need to create a new mask in each and move the bottom right corner pin to get the diagonal edge effect. For the Gradient ramp, you also need to move the corner points around so that the red stripe shows up at the bottom and the semitransparent black shows up a little on the right side.
8. Back up in the main comp, make sure the tagline comp is in the comp and set the anchor point to the left side. We will use this to animate later. Now create a new text layer to say whatever you want. Make the text white and then add a drop shadow from the blending mode. Position the text over the tagline.
9. Now the earth - search the web for a earth projection texture. I found one at http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/earth.php Make a new squre comp and call it earth - mine was 500 x 500 and place the image into it. Now apply CC sphere effect - if you don't have it installed, it should be on your afx install disk.
10. Animate the y rotation so that the earth rotates around the proper axis. Now apply a hue/saturation effect and colorize the earth to blue.
11. Place the earth comp into your main comp and rotate the earth diagonally. Now apply a new layer mask. Mask out the portion of the earth that you dont want to see. Now feather the mask to create a blurred edge on the right. Make the mask a little larger than the main comp on the left and bottom so as to allow for the feather.
12. Finally, animate the text opacity to come in when you want and animate the scale of the tagline comp so that it scales in to the right - remember moving the anchor point - this is why.
13. Drop your footage in behind all the layers and there you go.

If you want a completed comp to reverse engineer, I quickly did one and can email it to you if you are interested.

Return to posts index

Gent Ng
on Nov 2, 2007 at 8:07:14 pm

Thanks for the step by step answers and projection texture! I haven't tried it yet but will on the weekend. If possible please do send me the completed comp so I can use it as reference and for reverse engineering. :)

I will most likely have more questions to come!! Thanks again!

Return to posts index

park_mike
on Nov 4, 2007 at 12:49:20 am

If you want the comp, i would be happy to supply. Just let me know where to send it.

Best of luck

Return to posts index

Gent Ng
on Dec 28, 2007 at 12:12:14 am

Hi there,

Can you please send me the comp? Sorry it has been awhile since I have tried to do this tutorial. Thanks! Please send it to gng11@yahoo.com. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Gent Ng
on Dec 29, 2007 at 6:37:19 am

Hi I have tried the steps up to number 7 but I still get a red solid. In other words the layers don't appear to be in the right order. Should the redstripe and gradient ramp comps be positioned above the solids or vice versa? I don't know where I did wrong. Perhaps I can send you my file so you can have a look at it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Dec 29, 2007 at 8:48:32 pm

I just got you emails...been out with the holidays and all...I will look for that old comp. I don't know if I still have it, it has been a while. If you want to send me your comp, I would be happy to take a look at it for you. Send it to park_mike@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Mike Park
on Jan 2, 2008 at 6:37:06 pm

I just sent you an email with the requested files. Enjoy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]