ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Compositing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bluriie
3D Compositing
on Oct 27, 2007 at 2:28:29 pm

Hi all,

I realise there is no way to import 3d objects into AE except Zaxwerks Invigorator, which only allows simple objects. Therefore, the only way to "intergate" 3ds max with 2d in AE is by rendering the sequence out in 3d and importing it as a flat 2d layer. Is this the case for all compositing programs? I hope I'm making sense.

"If you can't solve it... DISsolve it." ;)

Return to posts index

Mark Nancetor
Re: 3D Compositing
on Oct 27, 2007 at 5:02:19 pm

Yes, they are limited by AE's 2.5d nature.

There are some ways to expand on this, such as Boomer Labs' plug-in for 3ds Max, which is at http://www.boomerlabs.com/cart/home.php?cat=3

Also, there is Cinema 4D from Maxon which has a tight integration with After Effects.

Mark

Return to posts index

Bluriie
on Oct 27, 2007 at 5:51:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks. I've been looking at MAX2AE for a while now. I posted the question hoping to get some answers as I've been using AE for some time now and to pick up a brand new program wld be tough. I'm looking for advice whether it is a good buy. Any testimonials from the AE users at cow who has used MAX2AE? Or should I pick up Cinema4d for better intergration?

Thanks for the help.

"If you can't solve it... DISsolve it." ;)

Return to posts index

A.Zander
on Oct 28, 2007 at 4:19:29 am

[Bluriie] "Is this the case for all compositing programs?"
combustion works nearly flawlessly with 3ds max, I just wish 3dsmax worked for macs.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Oct 28, 2007 at 1:44:41 pm

Can Combustion now import 3D objects natively then?

Other than that I think your only options for true 3D obj import are Eyeon Fusion (

Return to posts index

nicholastoth
on Oct 29, 2007 at 4:00:52 pm

You probably won't want to import straight 3d objects, but instead a .fbx file and set the render output to 'camera mapping' on the object within Fusion or whatever software you want too. Either way you have to render it.

Its really asking for a lot --- what exactly are you trying to do? The simple export of a camera into AE with appropriate alpha channels tends to work very well. Just make sure you export some reference nulls/lights for 3d space reference.

Return to posts index

texasjgc
on Nov 7, 2007 at 6:52:54 pm

That is correct. NO compositing program can do that because a 3d program operates in 3d space with true 3d coordinates, where'as a compositing program operates in 2d space (some have a fake Z depth to simulate 3d, but never actually is true 3d). :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]