ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HuffYUV rainbow noise

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rshefton
HuffYUV rainbow noise
on Aug 1, 2007 at 6:17:50 am

Help!

I've been using your HuffYUV codec (ver 2.1.1) for intermediate/workflow avis and have come across a problem with horizontal rainbow type noise that appears in random frames when rendering footage from an HuffYUV encoded AVI. This happens in both premier pro 2 and after effects 7 pro. I have read some accounts of issues with RGB vs YUV encoding, put the default settings are in accordance with what the forums/articles suggest are needed to avoid this issue (i.e. RGB - Predict Gradient(best)).

It appears to be an issue when decoding files already encoded with HuffYUV, it's the decoding when rendering out (regardless of the codec used to re-render - even uncompressed rendering shows these issues when rendering from an HuffYUV encoded avi).

Strangely this has begun to happen only recently - historically I've used HuffYUV without issue - however the new instability doesn't appear to be an issue with the environment in terms of other software/installation on the machine, as I reverted to an old image of the machine (pre these issues) and I still see the same horizontal rainbow noise on random frames issue when encoding/decoding.

If anyone could offer any help or suggestions I would be hugely grateful as I'm against the clock for a deadline and have all my source in HuffYUV avis!

Many thanks in advance for your help in this.

Return to posts index

Zarxrax
Re: HuffYUV rainbow noise
on Aug 1, 2007 at 7:23:31 pm

Premiere Pro is extremely buggy at exporting to avi files using almost any codec. If you are going to export to an avi in premiere pro, always use only "uncompressed". This problem is pretty well documented on various forums across the net, and I have been reporting the bugs to Adobe since Premiere Pro 1.0, and they continue to ignore the problem.

The problem very likely exist in your huffyuv files if you saved exported them out of premiere, and I don't believe it can be fixed. You can try checking the box "always suggest rgb for output" in the huffyuv compression settings and see if that helps though. When you see that stuff in the frames though, I'm almost positive that premiere actually wrote that image into the video instead of what was supposed to be there--so in other words it can't be corrected without going back to the original source.

This problem shouldn't occur when exporting to huffyuv from After Effects or any other application--only from premiere.

Return to posts index

rshefton
on Aug 1, 2007 at 9:17:07 pm

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the problem appears to be a bit deeper than that. I can see that all the source HuffYUV encoded files are in fact fine when viewed frame by frame in AE - and the issue happens when exporting out of both AE and Premier Pro - also, the noise that appears in the export is on different frames, randomly, everytime I export the same sequence/comp.

Return to posts index

Zarxrax
on Aug 1, 2007 at 10:21:12 pm

Ok, that's definitely odd. I've never experienced any issue with exporting out of After Effects. Sounds like this might be a different problem than what I'm familiar with. You get this when exporting with ANY codec, or only when you export with huffyuv? Did you check the always suggest rgb box?

Return to posts index

rshefton
on Aug 2, 2007 at 6:56:51 am

Yes, ANY codec. However, I think I may have resolved the issue, seems there were some subtle RAM errors which became severe enough to be obvious just this morning. After reinstalling Premier and AE and removing the offending chip from the motherboard, I haven't seen a recurrance of the issue (I'm pretty sure it's the RAM rather than reinstallation that was the root cause).

Bizare that it only seemed to impact when using HuffYUV source files though.

Thanks again for your help.

P.S. - would you suggest using the more up to date Lagarith fork of the codec, or is it fine to stick with the older HuffYUV given it's slight speed advantages?

Return to posts index

Zarxrax
on Aug 2, 2007 at 12:53:14 pm

I personally use Lagarith for all of my work these days. As long as your computer is even decently fast, the speed difference shouldn't be much of an issue at all. I'm running a 3 year old 2.26ghz pentium 4, and it seems to do all right. In fact, sometimes Lagarith can even outpurform Huffyuv for me, because of it's smaller files hard disc throughput is less of an issue. I would particularly suggest Lagarith if you have a multi-core processor, since Lagarith can take advantage of it.

Return to posts index

rshefton
on Aug 2, 2007 at 8:27:23 pm

Great, I'll make the switch. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]