ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

stencil alpha with 3d layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ookook
stencil alpha with 3d layer
on Jul 1, 2007 at 5:25:25 am

Hi, got a problem and can't find any docs on it: Im trying to use the stencil alpha blending mode with 3d layers, and its not working. Seems like all the blending modes work on 3d layers except for the stencil and silhoutte. Anyone know how to get around this?

thanks

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: stencil alpha with 3d layer
on Jul 1, 2007 at 3:43:54 pm

I'm almost positive I've used stencil and sillhouette on 3D layers before... Are the 3D layers you're applying these blending modes to closer to the camera than the other layers in your composition?

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

ookook
on Jul 1, 2007 at 6:01:37 pm

Yes, the layer with the stencil alpha blend mode is closer to the camera than the layer it is supposed to stencil. The blending mode works if the the layer with it applied is not 3d and the layers it is stenciling are, but once the stenciled layer is turned to 3d the effect stops working... am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Lowtech
on Jul 2, 2007 at 9:27:16 pm

i have had this same problem. here is about the only way around it, that i know of. I would just Precomp where i could to get the matte right and then deal with the 3d part in the final comp.

cheers,
Lowtech

Return to posts index

ookook
on Jul 2, 2007 at 11:13:43 pm

Rats -- precomping doesnt work for me either. I want to flatten transforms on the precomp(using vector masks in it). Since AE lumps this together with precomp 3d I guess it aint going to work. (as then the layers in the precomp need to be 3d which defeats the purpose. huh.

Return to posts index

Raymond Miller
on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:40:35 pm

Did you guys ever figure this out? Because I am having the same problem.

Return to posts index

mihai wilson
on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:45:31 pm

nope.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 14, 2015 at 1:20:15 pm

Appears you have to precomp and pre-render the 3D layer including camera animation and use the rendered 2D layer instead. Makes it difficult to previsualize what you are doing, and not a very flexible approach to say the least.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 14, 2015 at 11:37:19 pm

1. Pre-compose the 3D layer you want to use with Stencil Alpha. Choose to leave all attributes in the parent comp.

2. Go inside the pre-comp and enable 3D on the layer.

3. Enable collapse transformations on the pre-comp and apply any effect to the pre-comp (a blur, for example, with zero radius, or a levels effect without changing any values), this will allow you to choose a blend mode for the (partially) collapsed pre-comp.

4. Make sure the pre-comp's blend mode is set to Stencil Alpha.

Here's an example:

9143_3dstencilalpha.aep.zip

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Raymond Miller
on Aug 18, 2015 at 12:12:03 am

I actually just figured out another approach. Try using the shatter effect. Since it has 3D properties built in. I am using a spinning letter and that seems to have worked pretty well so far.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]