ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE workstation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Judy Ranelli
AE workstation
on Jun 28, 2007 at 3:10:02 pm

If you were spec'ing out a PC based AE workstation, for a high-end motion graphics/broadcast production work, what hardware would you get? And what platform; does AE utilize the advantages of 64 bit? ;-)

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: AE workstation
on Jun 28, 2007 at 3:37:04 pm

This gets asked a lot. Try searching the AE COW for "workstation", "graphics" or "RAM".

By the way, don't use Vista. By all reports, it's not ready for pro apps.

Return to posts index

Judy Ranelli
on Jun 28, 2007 at 3:38:52 pm

lol, I just did a search and boy did the posts pop up.

Return to posts index

Little Black Bird
on Jun 28, 2007 at 5:40:42 pm

Depending on what your budget is, you can get a Boxx system http://www.boxxtech.com/, ProMax sells high end Mac bundles, etc.

Return to posts index

Adam Portnoy
on Jun 28, 2007 at 7:01:32 pm

Judy,

During a demo of AE CS3, the Adobe product manager said the best platforms for 'AE CS3' are the new Mac Pros and WinXP64 with multiple dual core processors. Apparently these set ups take the best advantage of RAM and the multiple cores. Of course, you need to have enough RAM for the number of cores. Suposedly both these set ups 'can' utilize up to 4GB RAM / core. An 8-core xeon with 32GB of RAM would kick serious butt but the price of the RAM will kick your wallets butt. The word on the street seems to be 2GB/core for solid utilization. AE will spawn multiple instances for rendering and each instances wants at least 1.5GB RAM to run effectively. Again, all this is for AE CS3 only. I do not believe AE CS3 is 64-bit but the 64-bit OS allows the use of that much RAM.

- Adam

Return to posts index

Judy Ranelli
on Jun 28, 2007 at 7:29:24 pm

Thanks for the input. I believe we would stick with 32 bit. Definitely a PC not a Mac. Perhaps a ceiling of $8k for the box. No monitor(s) needed.

Return to posts index

hhv_pro
on Jun 28, 2007 at 10:42:13 pm

It's not possible for 32-bit app to use more memory because you are running under 64 bit OS. The fact is 64 Windows OS create a 32bit virtual OS space and it's still limited to 2GB of process memory limit just like 32 bit OS. Don't buy more then 4GB of RAM, unless program is written ground up in 64 bit for 64 bit OS. Buy something more useful with that cash like better/Bigger Video/Raid controller.

You will see better performance due to Intel

Return to posts index

Judy Ranelli
on Jun 29, 2007 at 3:30:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I want to stick with 32 due to possible driver issues et al. If we use the box for 3 years by then software and hardware should have caught up and we'd be ready for another upgrade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]