ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating PAN and SCAN in AE...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mrshow555
creating PAN and SCAN in AE...
on Feb 23, 2007 at 7:44:34 pm

As much as I love Widescreen.....

What is the best way to creat a Fullscreen Pan & Scan version of a letterboxed project in After Effects?

My initial two ideas are just import the letterboxed video and scale it up until the bars are not visibile and then key frame the Poisition as needed.

OR

Use a "Camera" to pick and choose what you want to see in each shot. But I have no experience using cameras in After Effects at all.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

moldyboot
Re: creating PAN and SCAN in AE...
on Feb 23, 2007 at 9:08:04 pm

enlarging and key framing should work, however, if you want to blow your footage up, make sure to deinterlace any interlaced foortage.

better would be to get the footage prior to letterboxing so you don't have to scale up the footage, assuming the original was scaled down to fit 4x3 screen.

Return to posts index

mrshow555
on Feb 23, 2007 at 9:59:34 pm

the footage was shot in 4:3 letterboxed to 16:9, so I have to blow up either way.

Also, why deinterlace first? The final output will be interlaced anyways? And won't the conversion back and forth between interlaced, de-interlaced, back to interlaced affect the quality?

Return to posts index

moldyboot
on Feb 23, 2007 at 10:13:42 pm

if you blow up interlaced footage, your scan lines will be larger than an actual scan line. this usually produces unfortunate results. you can try a render without de-interlacing, but i don't think you'll be happy.

note: ae ram previews are not interlaced, so you'll need to do a full render.

Return to posts index

morebo
on Feb 23, 2007 at 11:26:41 pm

[mrshow555] "Also, why deinterlace first? The final output will be interlaced anyways? And won't the conversion back and forth between interlaced, de-interlaced, back to interlaced affect the quality?"

absolutely... everytime you bring your footage back and forth different apps it will compress.. even if you
do an "uncompressed" render.

morebo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]