ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating a 3-D movie...?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mrshow555
creating a 3-D movie...?
on Feb 15, 2007 at 9:45:13 pm

I found a tutorial online on how to make a RED/BLUe 3-D movie, but how do I create one with the polarized lens style? It seems as though you need the two projector method, HOWEVER, there was an episode of Third Rock from the Sun in 3-D (the season 2 finale) that uses the polarized method and since that was on TV it had to be composited into a single broadcastable image.

So my question is, how can I make a movie in 3-D using this method. Does anyone have any idea?

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
Re: creating a 3-D movie...?
on Feb 16, 2007 at 3:13:56 am

There is a 3D glasses effect in AE, but to be honest I've never tried to make a 3D image with it. Try it and let us know if it works!

Return to posts index

mrshow555
on Feb 16, 2007 at 5:59:46 am

thats using the red/blue method. i'm looking more for a way to do the polarizing effect without having to project from two sources. Is this even possible?

The effect works like this:
http://www.3dglassesonline.com/how-do-3d-glasses-work/3-d-glasses-polarizat...

But is there a way to shoot the two cams 2.5" apart, each with different polarizing filters and combine the two in post instead of projecting them onto a screen? Does the polarization get captured or is that an optical effect only achievable during live projection?

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Feb 16, 2007 at 7:45:49 am

I'm looking into a 3d project too, and while TV has apparently done some 3D stuff, it's almost non-existent in online write-ups.

All the advice from people who work with 3D is that you need two projectors, a silver screen and alignment software. We've priced our project at

Return to posts index

mrshow555
3D Update... (but still need to know how to do this in AE?)
on Feb 16, 2007 at 8:44:46 am

Here's what I've been able to come up with as how to exaplain the kind of technique I'd like to do and how to achieve this in After Effects...

There is a VHS tape around Roller Coaster Thrills - in 3D. The process works something like this: NTSC writes one half of those horizontal TV lines first, then the other half ("interlacing"). When you darken the Left image for the first half, and lighten Right for the next scan, plus wear dark-light glasses your anaglyph vision is there. Works fine.

But I still can't find anything on tips for shooting the videos, it all seems to be post-prod tips. One major piece of advice I found is to have the 2 cameras mounted 2.5" apart to simulate the human eye. But then a different site said the distance between the camera should be about 1/30th of the distance between the camera and the subject. I'm still trying to determine how you set your screen plane (think 0 axis) so that you can determine what comes off the screen and what falls back into the distance.

On a side note, here's some tutorials on how to do Anaglyph 3D (red/blue glasses):

http://kirk.caset.buffalo.edu/~depape/212/Main/AnaglyphTutorialWithFinalCut

http://www.puppetkites.net/329?action=print

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Feb 16, 2007 at 7:50:52 am

[mrshow555] "But is there a way to shoot the two cams 2.5" apart, each with different polarizing filters and combine the two in post instead of projecting them onto a screen? Does the polarization get captured or is that an optical effect only achievable during live projection?"

Polarization is based on blocking lightwaves with a certain orientation. You cannot capture this in pixels as the values of the "lightpoints" themselves are completely identical. The only difference between them is the angle which always requires some physical separation between either the sender (projectors) or receiver. Because it is angle-based, it is also dependfant on the viewing distance. The red/blue method works differently because it is based on perceptional differences which merely exist inside the human brain.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on Feb 16, 2007 at 3:51:25 pm

Tell me again what you need to know.

The Web is crowded with lots of 3d information, it's a remarkably cool niche for both still and motion producers. You can find what you need, it may take a few hours. The 3D releases of Monster House and Polar Express have extensive geek documentation available. I haven't read it.

Creating a 3d movie out of AE is relatively easy. You create your stereo camera pair, parent them together and make two rendering passes, one from each camera. Determining the interoccular distance is a question that you answer after your decide on your release medium and doing extensive tests. "Reality" for 3D is a compromise.

Forget the red/blue method. Works, for sure, if you have r/b glasses to hand out or are working in stills. But it works best as an effect to simulate the viewing of 3D. It's a convention, like using a double circle matte to simulate looking through binoculars.

Polarization depends on filters over the projection lenses and glasses. There are field-shutter glasses that require each eye's view to be interlaced.

It's a great topic, tons of fun to work on and the discourse on the Web is weird.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

mrshow555
on Feb 20, 2007 at 6:40:34 pm

I've found stuff on Monster House and Polar Express, but that all deals with CG and creating a sperate angle of the frame in post which they can do easily since they're creating the images on a computer. There are however no tips on shooting. I'm more interested in finding out info on say Spy Kids 3D or Shark Boy and Lava Girl- but the production side, every article is mainly about the post process :/

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 20, 2007 at 6:50:43 pm

Try the COW's Cinematography forum. The shooters are there.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]