ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to apply tracking to a mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow_fan
how to apply tracking to a mask
on Feb 8, 2007 at 9:30:53 am

I created a mask over a moving object in my video clip using the pen tool. What I'd like to do is to track the moving object (using the built-in motion tracker) and apply it to the mask. I'd like the mask to precisely follow the object as it moves but I don't want to make the adjustment frame-by-frame so I wanted to use the tracker. Is that possible? How? Thanks.

Return to posts index

grafxflow
Re: how to apply tracking to a mask
on Feb 8, 2007 at 12:06:16 pm

Hi,

Try copying the tracking data from the footage layer to the mask layer.

grafxflow

grafx that flow!

Return to posts index

Tyler Paul
on Feb 8, 2007 at 1:46:15 pm

Can masks pick up that tracking data like that? I'm thinking it would treat the tracking info as vertices for the mask. If that doesn't work, I'd put the mask on a white solid and apply the tracking info to it's position. Then use this as a matte.

Return to posts index

TonyTony
on Feb 8, 2007 at 2:09:09 pm

Tyler has your answer.
You can't apply tracking data to a mask shape directly at this time. So add mask to solid and I would parent the solid to a null that has received the tracking info. This way the mask doesn't jump to a new location when the tracking info is applied and you can make small adjustments while keeping the overall move.

I have the rant.
This is one of the things people have wanted for... well you add in the length of time that is a appropriate for you.

TonyTony

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on Feb 8, 2007 at 6:44:38 pm

Tyler and Tony's method will work if the object doesn't change shape over time, but there is a Script, that does what you want in all situations. It was written for roto work with the tracker. It does a great job, as good as the track you pull, lousy track=lousy roto, great track=great roto.

Cue Fantasy Island music...

Da Script... Da Script...

You can control mask vertices with a script from harmdanpath, named RotAE.jsx, you can find it here:

http://del.icio.us/escruz/Rotoscope

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]