ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Paper Plane

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Hooton
3D Paper Plane
on Dec 15, 2006 at 2:57:34 pm

Here is the 3d paper airplane I made. Several post have requested help with making one. I will link the zip file with all of the needed files for the AEP project. If there is any interest in a step by step tutorial on how i basically did it let me know and I will put one together.

Here is the file

http://www.mediamax.com/dzlqps/Hosted/Folding_Airplane.zip

Return to posts index

Joel Hooton
Re: 3D Paper Plane
on Dec 15, 2006 at 3:10:24 pm

Sorry embedded the video works in firefox but not in IE.

http://www.mediamax.com/dzlqps/Hosted/Folding_plane_small.mov

Return to posts index

Tyler Paul
on Dec 15, 2006 at 3:42:01 pm

That is so friggan great man. Have you animated it flying around yet? I bet it looks great.

Return to posts index

Joel Hooton
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:00:17 pm

I have not animated it flying. However. Everything is parented to a 3D null. If you move or scale or rotate the null, the plane follows. Plus the folds in the plane are controlled by expressions. the first fold needs to be finished before the 2nd and so forth. All you do to manipulate the paper is keyframe the 4 expressions on the control layer.

Return to posts index

Rhett Robinson
I'm interested!
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:07:33 pm

That is great - I opened the project and understand what's going on, but would love to have at least a short narrative as to how you approached it. This type of effect can always be useful (thinking of packages being wrapped, letters folded for mailing, etc...).

Thanks for sharing!
Rhett

Return to posts index

Julian06
on Dec 15, 2006 at 5:21:04 pm

thank you very much!!!!absolutely great stuff!!!

Return to posts index

lasvideo
on Dec 15, 2006 at 6:10:15 pm

Very inspiring. Nice work!

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Dec 15, 2006 at 8:36:32 pm

You're making yourself popular today! ;O). Thanks for taking the time to put those projects together and sharing them.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on Dec 15, 2006 at 8:42:09 pm

Paper airplanes are the coolest, and this one won't get me sent to the Principal's Office.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

crgreen
on Dec 16, 2006 at 9:20:05 pm

What a great treat. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Xijjix
on Mar 7, 2007 at 3:34:32 am

I'm using After Effects 7.0, and I'm having some trouble with this project. Whenever a fold occurs, the letters underneath will flicker through and then remain on top instead of being hidden by the folds like in the video. I've tried to play around with the expression to fix it, but I'm still trying to learn and understand expressions and I can't figure out how to fix it so that the folds stay on top. I'm pretty sure its a Z-position issue, but I may be wrong.

Also, if Mr. Hooton or anyone else would be willing to provide a step-by-step tutorial on this project, I would be very interested, as I'm sure I could learn a lot about expression controls by understanding how this project was created.

Return to posts index

r.t-rone
on Oct 30, 2007 at 3:26:05 pm

This is sooo awesome! I would love to see a tutorial...especially because my computer is having difficulty unzipping your file!!! Go figure!

Return to posts index

brendan dalziel
on Sep 14, 2008 at 7:46:22 pm

I know this is a old posted but I was hoping that someone would still have this folding Airplane zip laying around. I thought I had saved a copy of it years ago but I cant seem to find it. If by any chance some one had this zip file could they posted it.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Nik Alvarez
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:40:59 pm

did you ever find the zip file? i could also use it :/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]