ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Silhouette Paint and Roto

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Goldberg
Silhouette Paint and Roto
on Nov 16, 2006 at 7:01:32 pm

Hi,
I was considering buying the Silhoutte paint and roto bundle. I was wondering if anyone has been using these, and has an opinion of how useful they are. We don't do a lot of roto work, but might have some coming up. I thought these might be interesting to get. Any opinions I'd love to hear.....

Mike

Return to posts index

Andrew Shanks
Re: Silhouette Paint and Roto
on Nov 16, 2006 at 7:14:48 pm

I don't have the paint module, but as for the roto plugin, it totally rocks!! I've only just bought my own copy, but got to know it working at a facility (a lot of big fx houses are using the stand alone version for their roto work). Quite simply it has the best rotoing UI of anything out there. Its a simple, clean interface, but powerful (with its integrated tracking, layer system for roto-shapes, and ability to export both rotoshapes and tracker info to other applications).
If you don't do much roto, you can get by with After Effects, ...but if you do roto regularly, it is well worth the outlay.

Cheers,

andrew

:-)

Return to posts index

TonyTony
on Nov 16, 2006 at 10:12:03 pm

You of course know you can download it and demo it to see how you feel about?

TonyTony

Return to posts index

daveyg
on Nov 17, 2006 at 12:10:16 am

i have sfx paint and roto. i thought it was going to help but i just cant seem to figure it out. its tough, i cant find many tuts on it. Its so tough for me to learn, does someone know where i can get tuts on it. thanks. i would love to learn it.

Return to posts index

Andrew Shanks
on Nov 19, 2006 at 7:49:28 pm

Hey Dave,
in what way are you having problems? ...I can't speak for the paint side of things but if you have roted in any other software you should be able to dive into it without too much problem (just read the manual to pick up the shortcut keys and youre away), it is well and truly the easiest roto app I've used (and I've used many compositors that have roto capability, ...commotion, shake, after effects, combustion, flame). If it is a general problem with learning the skills of roto itself, do a search for tutorials in rotoscoping, or even tips and tricks, be it here on Cow or google. An extremely good beginners primer is here:
http://effectscorner.blogspot.com/2006/01/rotoscoping-part-1.html
http://effectscorner.blogspot.com/2006/01/rotoscoping-part-2.html

...don't expect rotoscoping to be quick or automated in some way (unless you have software like Mokey), ...by its very nature it is a time consuming job.

Goodluck,

andrew

Return to posts index

daveyg
on Nov 19, 2006 at 9:13:09 pm

i appreciate it

thanks

Return to posts index

daveyg
on Nov 19, 2006 at 9:18:51 pm

i looked up mokey, which software is the best roto tool. they have many packages. thanks

Return to posts index

Andrew Shanks
on Nov 20, 2006 at 4:14:09 am

Probably best to ask exactly what sort of roto you are doing. Mokey is a specialized application for automating a bit of the pain that would normally be associated with rotoscoping (in regards to extracting a moving object from a background that isn't a greenscreen/bluescreen backdrop, or creating a clean background plate (i.e. getting rid of foreground objects and filling in the gap thats left)). It doesn't work for everything, and it is extremely expensive, but if interested I think they have a demo version you can try.

Really Silhouette roto is the best around (at the moment), ...Weta use it in their roto dept (albeit the stand alone version). Roto is what you end up doing when all else fails (in regards to extracting an object/person from one shot and putting them in another), thats why i said, don't expect any magic automated applications that will do this for you (Mokey is the closest to that type of application you can get at this stage, ...Pixel Dust will be another contender soon, and I'm sure as optical flow technology develops further, we will get more software that works these bits of magic for us, ...but at this stage, its usually a lot of long hours tweaking rotosplines). Often you will use luma keys, combined with colour keys, and/or channels manipulated to give mattes for the edges of an object, then use rough roto to fill in the holes.

If you follow the tips/tricks on Scott's site (listed in my previous posting), and take advantage of Silhouette's ability to apply motion tracking data to shapes and points on a roto-spline, ...you'll do fine.

Best tip I have is to get some good music, put on some headphones, and just go for it (roto becomes automatic after practice, ...when it does so you can really just zone out and find its almost theraputic), ....music really does help keep you going.

:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]