ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text to smoke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Nathan
Text to smoke
on Sep 25, 2006 at 11:06:14 pm

I want to display some text then have some other text appear behind and the top text turn to smoke as the bottom text appears to come through the smoke. Any idea of where I can start? Or how to achieve this? Any advice, tips, links and tutorials are greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

cow
Justin Productions
Re: Text to smoke
on Sep 26, 2006 at 12:40:11 am

Links: COW's Archives.

Tutorial here.

Tips: Get Trapcode Particular and get the PyroPack (at the bottom of the page). See here and click on the "Text to smoke" index to the left.

Really...really hope that helped :)

Justin Productions
Tangerin01@hotmail.com
Adobe After Effects 6.5 Professional

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Sep 26, 2006 at 12:48:06 am

Create a comp. Call this comp noise comp. In this comp apply fractal noise to a solid. Adjust and animate fractal noise to look smokey. It may take a bit of tweaking, but it is really not that hard. Adjust the transform of the fractal noise to rise, such as smoke would.

Now, bring this comp into your second comp, the one that has your text. Close the visibility of the noise comp.
Apply the displacement map filter to your first text and select the noise comp as your displacement map. I would suggest using the luminance channels for the distortion.

When you want the text to go up in smoke, animate the text's position slightly with a big ease towards the upper portion of the comp, at the same time animate the distortion amount of the distortion map from 0 to a good value (depends on the size of text and amount of distortion wanted). You can also animate a blur to the text.

To complete the effect, duplicate the text, and use it as a track matte for the nois comp (turn back on the visibilty of the noise track). Now make sure that these two layers are above the original text and animate the opacity values of the noise comp from 0 to 100 at the point where the text starts to move.

Now, to get the other text to move through, create the move on the second text (zoom I would presume). Once the move is good enough, then duplicate this text layer and place the duplicate at the top of the comp. Now animate it's opacity at the point where it looks like it should come through the smoke. For added realism, you can use the noise comp as a displacment map to these two text layers as they move through the smoke.

Hope this gets you started

Mark

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on Sep 26, 2006 at 2:16:43 pm

You can download a boat load of remarkably simple text effects here:
http://theanvel.com/

Look for the NAB2006 set of tutorials.

http://theanvel.com/free_aeps_detail.php?aeps=77

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Nathan
on Sep 26, 2006 at 3:20:30 pm

wow thanks all. I seriously appreciate it. I did "rtfm". Well I didnt read it all but I did search through it. Also looked through some training dvds I have but didnt find this wealth of knowledge. But the good thing is its a part of the matrix now. So if someone else needs this help its there now :D

Many thanks to ya'll

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]