COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Goosen
new ipod nano ad
on Sep 14, 2006 at 2:09:40 am

hey team cow
i just checked out the new ipod nano ad by expolis
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ads/
its such a funky effect. i was thinking about the colour grade they achieved on the dancers. is it possible to get a colour effect on people in after effects + 3rd party plugins or would you need a flame suite?
thanks for your help in advance
brad

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
Re: new ipod nano ad
on Sep 14, 2006 at 2:18:43 am

Man, the color is the easiest part. I'm more impressed with the reflections of the synthetic effect being in their sunglasses. As far as the colors, that's pretty basic. There are many ways. You can use curves or hue/sat set to colorize or use colorama. The key for the glowy stuff is duplicating layers blurring them and using ADD transfer modes back on top of each other.

But if you are an ad agency producer asking a post house that owns a flame how this is done, then yes the answer would be "only in a flame". But everyone else knows it can be done in AE. But like I said, the color part was not a big deal, it was the other stuff that was the amazing part.

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Sep 14, 2006 at 2:22:25 am

It is, but nothing that would be worth spending time on, and it probably wouldn't be very realistic.

This was probably achieved by lights likely held by the dancer themselves.

Vince

Return to posts index

Phil Scardilli
Re: Cartoonification technique
on Sep 14, 2006 at 4:08:44 am

I recently followed Aharon Rabinowitz's most excellent AE/AI cartoonification tutorial and I almost pulled it off. The problems I encounterd were in lesson 3, bringning the batch rendered Illustrator files into After Effects.
When I tried to import/import multiple files of my color cartoon AI
files,a series of about 700 jpegs, it's only importing a single frame.
I tried repeatedly but still can't pull in my entire AI folder with all the jpegs.
Any clues?
Phil E.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Cartoonification technique
on Sep 14, 2006 at 4:12:36 am

Could you create a new thread, please?

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Sep 14, 2006 at 4:27:43 am

Chris is righteous. Play the clip to the seventh artist (green) around :11. Step through the clip frame-by-frame as the artist is raising her arm for the first time. Hee.

Nice video. :)

Return to posts index

Brad Goosen
on Sep 14, 2006 at 4:39:54 am

thanks for the speedy reply
yeah i agree that the other elements are fantastic... but i guess that would be all 3d elements comped onto the footage.
great timings and the feel of the piece is brilliant
thanks
again
brad

Return to posts index

Arson XL
on Sep 14, 2006 at 5:35:22 am

i think the lighting is faked. I think they shot the lit version on a green screen. Then they made darkened silhouettes of the actors. Then they made reveal mattes using a contrasted version of the person. Then they tracked a color glow to reveal the lit version using the contrasted mask. And where ever doesnt reveal just shows the black silhouette.

Return to posts index

sam.mltn
on Sep 14, 2006 at 6:06:14 am

I think the nano's in the spot were lit internally and the set had barely any light. then the nano's were tracked and a particle system was used to build the lines. there may also have been a bit of an echo effect applied to a high contrast version with the actors blocked by either masking or some kind of channel adjustments. Very clever, but they look a lot like some nbc adds from about 3 years ago where stars of their prime time lineup were drawing with light and I think pitching that the network cares about families or something like that. at least I think it was nbc... don't have much time to watch tv.

Return to posts index

rendernyc
on Sep 15, 2006 at 3:23:47 pm

funny, for such a beautiful spot, the amount of work that went in to it, etc...

its amazing how many poor masks, cut off limbs, etc they left in the final version

after the green nano person with the cut off arm, watch the hand of the next blue nano come in.

beautiful spot, but not very polished

and this id just what i saw as it played, not from going frame by frame

Return to posts index

Nicholastoth
on Sep 15, 2006 at 7:31:50 pm

Done poorly?

I thought they executed it very well.
Well enough to stump enough people at this website.

Return to posts index

rendernyc
on Sep 15, 2006 at 10:11:26 pm

as i said its beautiful. and so much work obviously went in to it.

it just lacks polish, and honestly i am surprised the agency would approve it as is.

when watching the 4x3 version you can see the green guys edge of frame where his arm is cut off.

the next shot watch the poor roto on the hand holding the ipod, i mean bad. the fingers dont even connect.

it looks like there were a few different artists working on this spot with varying degrees of expertise.

some shots the nano has motion blur, others it looks like they forgot to enable it (there is one when it small in the background moving fast and everything is movign with blur but the nano)

there is a pink streak that comes in large and you can see where it was masked or ended or the edge of its frame for 1 frame.

none of these are that noticable (save the guy who is cut off which i think is pretty embarrassing that they let it out that way) but are little things that should have been fixed before being final.

of course this is IMHO

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Steve Drew
on Sep 16, 2006 at 12:18:17 am

I'd love to know what it was done in. Not so I know 'how' they did it, but just to enjoy the irony of Apple's visual effects ads, likely being done in non-Apple software. heheh. I like the ad though - save Choppy McArmless the Green.

But what the heck is the deal with the 2nd blue guy's hand? I don't think it's dodgy roto work, because I don't even think it's the guy's hand! It's meant to be his skin but look at the 16x9 version where his thumb enters frame. No skin I've ever seen looks like that - and there's no finger nails?!

Anyone know who did it?

Return to posts index

Brad Goosen
on Sep 16, 2006 at 12:30:33 am

a company called expolis http://www.exopolis.com and it was co-directed by mark romanek... one of the great music video directors... if you've seen the clip for johnny cash's hurt you'll know what i'm talking about

Return to posts index

Steve Drew
on Sep 16, 2006 at 4:33:50 am

Wow, yes I know the man - in my mind Romanek's responsible for so much of the 'grunge' look in cinema of the late 90's - certainly Closer was a direct influence to SE7EN's titles. The Palm Pictures DVD on him is great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]