ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wacom and the "sticky" cursor... on the Mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex_f
Wacom and the "sticky" cursor... on the Mac
on Aug 31, 2006 at 6:24:20 pm

Hello,

there's an issue that is continously annoying me: if i use my wacom (intuos 3) pen the clicked layers remain "sticked" to the cursor for a short while and even if i lift off fast they get reordered so many times...
it forces me to work so slooooowww. could not find any wacom-setting to get rid of that annoying behaviour...
I've noticed this on many workstations.

anyone knows a solution?

thanks

alex

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Wacom and the "sticky" cursor... on the Mac
on Aug 31, 2006 at 7:00:53 pm

[alex_f] "anyone knows a solution?"

Use a mouse for almost all AE work, not a tablet. Use the tablet only when painting, motion sketching or something like that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

oxyde
on Aug 31, 2006 at 7:02:42 pm

You might have a altered pen. check if that problem is thereeven when you change switch for an other wacom tablet(if full driver support of course)
If its the same what i don't beleive coz i use a wacom and I have no problem (1 sapphire ET and
1 graphire XL)its a system problem or hardware (probem with USB port

good luck

Return to posts index

alex_f
on Aug 31, 2006 at 7:38:57 pm

thanks,

i work within every application with a tablet - so switching back to mouse is really not an option.

the issue appeared on 4 different macs (dual 2, dual 2.5 and dual 2.7) with intuos 2 and intuos 3

greetz!

Return to posts index

TonyTony
on Aug 31, 2006 at 8:23:17 pm

I have experience something similar. For me it only happens about three times a day so I count myself lucky. I have also seen where the tablet appear to be getting repeated pen touches even when I'm not near the tablet. I have unplug the tablet and re-plugged it and this clears things up.

TonyTony

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 31, 2006 at 9:31:55 pm

[alex_f] "i work within every application with a tablet"

Oh my, using a word processor like that must be sheer hell........

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Stephen Townsend
on Jul 11, 2018 at 10:39:30 am

Why would it be sheer hell?

I use a wacom tablet for everything and don't have a problem.

I do get this 'sticking' effect occasionally in Adobe products though, which does become sheer hell, but other than that I can use it as well, if not better than a mouse.

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on Sep 1, 2006 at 2:35:41 pm

What version of AE are you using? There's a bug in 7 that when you click somewhere on the workspace, then move your cursor, it selects a bunch of layers.

Return to posts index

alex_f
on Sep 1, 2006 at 6:56:31 pm

i'm using version 6.5

you klick on a layer and have to remain there for a little while until it does kind of a little borderflash - if you move away too fast the layer will be reordered.

Return to posts index

andrew bird
on Aug 30, 2016 at 11:12:19 am

Note: Sticky cursor is still an issue in 2016!
Our illustrator/ rotoscoper also has this problem and it sometimes also results in dropping any video output (mercury transmit). Both using a Wacom tablet.

-Using a mouse only is not a workaround for most of us here as we use Wacom/Cintiq for nav in every application. Specially us oldies in vis-comms who have RSI! yeeesh!

AS this only happens every couple of days, a quick AE restart fixes it and isn't a problem.

Return to posts index

Jay Hollinsworth
on Sep 30, 2016 at 6:21:53 pm

I know someone who's experienced this while working in Photoshop. After some consultation, there was a suggestion that his pressure sensor might be jammed, and to remove the nib overnight so as to reset it. I haven't tried this myself but he swears by it. For some reason, it takes a while for the sensor to "relax", hence the recommendation to leave it removed overnight. Hope this is helpful.

Return to posts index

Max Hamworth
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:57:58 am

A couple of things that kinda worked for me and some insights;

1. Remove the pen nib, clean the hole of the pen nib.
Dirt at the other end can cause stickiness as you press the nib onto the tablet.

2. Snapping in applications. Point snapping, guides, grids, makes your pen jumpy.

3. Slow machine. Lack of processing power.
Usually happens with OS updates. Remember significant updates are made for the new machines.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]