ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

resolution problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jefftober
resolution problems
on Aug 12, 2006 at 12:23:04 am

Hi All-

I am working for broadcast and my exports have a distinct circle gradient around each light source. I have tried many different formats and tried even creating and outputting in HD through our Kona 3 but no luck. I am currently working on a Dual 2.5, 4.5 GB with a Decklink Extreme and FCP.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

jkl_editor
Re: resolution problems
on Aug 12, 2006 at 12:36:26 am

What bit depth is your project setup for?
If its 8bpc try switching to 16bpc via project settings.
Even if it doesn't look any better in the comp window try doing a test render and see if the banding goes away.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Aug 12, 2006 at 12:38:07 am

... if not, consider adding a bit of noise to an adjustment layer above the whole thing. You could also search the COW for "banding".

Return to posts index

jefftober
on Aug 12, 2006 at 1:54:40 am

Thanks for the help. I have tried setting it to 8bpc, 16bpc and 32bpc and still the same issue. Thanks for giving it a name, it will make it easier to describe. I am currently searching everywhere, any suggestions would be appreciated...BTW - I am running AE 7.0.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Aug 12, 2006 at 4:09:41 am

Have you tried working in 16 bit then rendering to a 10-bit codec? You should be able to download the Blackmagic codec.

What is your final product? No image-quality "chain" is stonger than its weakest link, and your final product might be the weakest link.

Return to posts index

jefftober
on Aug 12, 2006 at 8:35:50 pm

Hi-

I downloaded the Blackmagic Upgrade and have run back trough my tests. I can't get rid of the banding. It is there when I preview in AE in everything from Cineon to None to Blackmagic 10-Bit. It is also there in the QT and in FCP in a 10-Bit timeline. I have also tried using different source material and I get the same result. Could it be my light? Could it be the limitation of the software? I have tried just doing a plain old gradient in Photoshop and it is banded there as well. If I feather an edge in FCP enough, I get it there, too. Any more thoughts, even random ones?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Aug 12, 2006 at 11:41:56 pm

Your graphics card wouldn't be set to display only 65,000 colours, would it?

Return to posts index

jefftober
on Aug 14, 2006 at 3:41:33 pm

That sounds good...not to sound slow, but where can I find that setting?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]