ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how do i Deinterlace a footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ayas Hassan
how do i Deinterlace a footage?
on May 8, 2006 at 1:32:28 pm

wht is the best and easy way to deinterlace a footage in AE 7 ?

Ayas
Nirvana Digital Post FZ LLC
Dubai Media City

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: how do i Deinterlace a footage?
on May 8, 2006 at 2:48:24 pm

Click the AE logo at the top to get to the COW's AE tutorial page. Once there, look for the link to Barend's COW tutorial. He's got one on Deinterlacing which is very good. For more control, there's a 3rd party plugin from RevisionFX's FieldsKit
HTH

RoRK
http://www.broadcastGEMs.com
customizable animated backdrops with Adobe After Effects project files

Return to posts index

Franktatu
on May 8, 2006 at 6:38:52 pm

Take a look at this video tutorial, this guy is really good...
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=2&page=h...

Return to posts index

Chris Zwar
on May 8, 2006 at 8:57:53 pm

Ayas,

The "best" and "easiest" are not the same thing...

The "easiest" way to deinterlace is to simply make sure your footage is interpreted as fields (which AE often does automatically), then render it out as frames. In the interpet settings, you can also select the option "preserve edges" (not sure what it's exactly called) which will take longer to render but give a better result.

The "best" way is to use a 3rd party plugin such as the ReVision Fields Kit, mentioned above. I spent a long time evaluating Fields Kit and found that the results were very impressive and it was worth the price - however it works best when used together with RealSmart MotionBlur which is a seperate and equally expensive plugin. There are alternatives to the RealVision effects but I haven't used them personally, although "Kronos" by the Foundry has been incorporated into AE 7 - this can make your deinterlaced footage look less shuddery, although it has nothing to do with deinterlacing.

In between the "best" and the "easiest" you have techniques like Barend's, which is popular (free!) and frequently referenced.

-Chris

Motion Graphics Designer
Will animate for food

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on May 9, 2006 at 10:34:44 am

My article (although somewhat dated) was the result of my experiments trying to figure out what was the best way to de-interlace material without losing too much resolution.

While I was working on the article, FieldsKit was released and I added it to the options. As you can read in the article, I find I get the best results from Fieldskit, because it only de-interlaces the areas that need it, and leaves alone the rest. Fieldskit also uses smart ways to interpolate the fields.

Highly recommended.

http://www.revisionfx.com

Bar3nd

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on May 9, 2006 at 10:38:33 am

One thing about Andrew's recipe for de-interlacing though: first of all you're throwing away half of your vertical resolution by dropping every other frame. Blurring isn't really the same as reconstructing the image - although it smoothes out things.

Second, you're de-interlacing the entire frame, even if only parts of it might be moving. So you're losing resolution in areas that don't need de-interlacing.

Using AE's built-in fields separation with motion estimation is a step upwards, since it tries to only de-interlace areas that are moving.

But in my experience Fieldskit offers more control, better quality and ease of use.

Bar3nd

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]